33 |

PLEASE VOTE 🖤 AND FOLLOW FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS!

"So, how do I bring about a change?" I ask Everleigh, sighing in exasperation. I had just gotten to the packhouse solely to find Everleigh. I needed a strong, independent women's opinion on the matter at hand. After explaining what I had seen, she looks at me with an expression I couldn't quite discern.

"I know how you feel, Theia." She gently takes my hands in her own, and she lowers me onto the bed beside her so we could discuss things more comfortably. "There has been talking amongst the pack. We all want change too,"

"Then let's be the change. Now I have the power to enact a change amongst our pack. What I lack is knowledge and experience with pack traditions. This is where you can help me."

"What we are doing is going to have to be secretive," Everleigh tells me with a slight grimace on her face. Worry clouds over my expression. She continues, "It will have to be kept from Alpha Paxton until the right moment. If a bunch of women start standing up for themselves, it could easily get shut down. We need more onboard."

"Pax isn't the problem," as the words rush out of my mouth, I realize how defensive I was sounding. I was unknowingly taking his side, even though his side was on the side of oppression.

I wanted to shatter it. I want to destroy this pack and build it up into something to be proud of.

Coming here to seek asylum and then finding my mate —this all had been kept from me in the process. The pack did not so quickly air its dirty laundry to a stranger. But now, I was one of them.

I was one of their leaders, and I would start acting like it.

I swallow the lump that was forming in my throat and look into the eyes of a dear friend. "I can lie to him. I've done it before, haven't I?"

Everleigh grins almost ear to ear before her face turns serious, and she lowers her voice to something close to a whisper. "We will need spies in the territory."

"Spies?" I frown.

She nods, "Alpha Paxton has his own. However, we shouldn't utilize them unless it's a dire need. They're known as The Guard. It has to be under wraps until we can have a peaceful assembly or protest."

I didn't even know Paxton had a group of spies —for lack of a better term— and I suddenly felt like I didn't know much at all. "How can I assemble my own spies? I need to trust them."

"Leave it to me."

~

"Are you feeling any better, Freckles?" My mate asks as he deals an arm across my waist. We were in bed now, and he had brought himself closer so we could wrap one another in our warmth.

Typically this would be endearing, but I had other things racing in my mind.

"Of course," I lie easily and turn to kiss him. His grip on my waist tightens as he tries to deepen the kiss, but I quickly pull back, earning a small frown from him. "Tired is all, " I shrug and turn away, bidding him a good night.

It was going to be harder to lie to the love of my life, who was now physically bound to me. I hoped he couldn't tell I was flushed at this moment and that I felt physically sick to scheme behind his back.

But as Luna, I felt I had no other option. I needed to do what was best for my people —not just the men of this pack.

I turn to look to my mate, who still had his arms wrapped around me and now closed his eyes to prepare to fall asleep. As I gaze at the rise and fall of his chest so peacefully, I know in my heart that he would never subject his people to unjust treatment intentionally.