Chapter 21

Later that night, I wash the dishes with Sylvia

She hums along to a soothing cover of Habanera as we work, floating around the kitchen like a fairy.

"You looked nice tonight," she says as Habanera transitions into another Carmen track.

Her voice is still soft and melodic, trailing away with the music. I've come to realise that Sylvia has two voices: one when music is playing, and one when it's not. The music voice is always smooth and calm, mimicking whatever key dominates the soundscape.

"Thanks."

"Lewis seems like a mature boy. I'm glad him and Jake have become friends."

The mention of Lewis sends another spasm of embarrassment through me, but I just shrug.

"He isn't as awful as I first thought."

Sylvia watches me, waiting, and I worry she picked up on more throughout the night than I'd wanted her too.

I'd never had to worry about Jake with this sort of thing. He wasn't observant enough to notice when boys were paying attention to me. Mum also hadn't been great; but Sylvia makes me feel like she's expecting me to admit to something, to mention Lewis's stares during dinner.

Because he had been staring.

A lot.

After the horrific weather conversation, his gaze had returned to my face repeatedly. It'd felt like the touch of a hand, a whispered breath in my ear. And I couldn't figure out if I liked the thrills it inspired or not.

"I booked our flights to Ravenhall, by the way," Sylvia says. "We're leaving early Saturday morning and coming back Sunday night. I don't want you two missing any school."

Her words are cold water down my spine and all thoughts of Lewis and his green eyes and his stupid stares suddenly feel like they belong to another girl; one who's able to sleep without screaming, one who can smell smoke and still breath.

"Right. Sounds great."

My voice stands on unsteady feet and Sylvia turns to me.

"Do you still want to go?"

I glance up at the ceiling, checking that the water is still running in Jake's shower. Ever since we'd decided to visit Melbourne, a glint had returned to Jakes eyes. It was contagious, and when I was around him, his optimism would thread through me. But when I wasn't...

"I don't really know how to answer that."

Sylvia nods.

"We don't have to spend the entire weekend in Ravenhall. We could go back to your old house too, if you want."

I can't explain the emotion that comes over me then. My heart aches in a way that's neither good nor bad.

I don't think of home often, but when I do, it's the nights Jake and I found our way home by the stars that stand out, it's the creek bed with trickles of water lacing the bottom and the gum leaves that perfumed our drive and crunched underfoot.

To go back would be heaven.

But it would also tempt hell.

"I think I'd like that," I say slowly.

Sylvia nods.

"Okay. We'll go on Sunday. If Jake doesn't want to come, he can stay in Ravenhall."

I finish washing the dishes and Sylvia reaches over and unplugs the sink. Her hand finds mine beneath the surface, squeezing hard as the water drains out.

"I'm really proud of you, Claudia," she says. "You have no idea how much."

"Thanks Sylvia."

She holds my hand for a second more, hesitating just long enough to make me look at her again.

"There's something else I have to tell you," she says, the words slow. "But I'm not sure you're going to like it."

I stare at her, waiting.

"More information's come out about the fires. It was in the newspaper this morning."

My chest tightens, my breathing shallowing. "What kind of information?"

"They're saying it was a woman," Sylvia says. "That she, and her family, are being protected. I left the article on your bed if you'd like to read it."

I swallow hard and pull my hand away from hers, stepping back. I almost don't notice the soap suds condensing on my skin, the water dribbling from my fingers.

"Do they know who she is?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Okay."

For a moment we stand there in silence.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I might go to bed though, if that's alright."

"Of course, darling."

I turn and walk up the steps, Sylvia's gaze on my back the whole way, and when I reach my room, I close the door and stare at the wood until my heart calms. Then, I turn to the bed and pick up the paper.

Victoria's pyromaniac protected from public.

A middle aged woman has been charged with igniting the Black Monday bushfire which engulfed 20,000 hectares of south-east Victoria earlier this year and took 112 lives. Despite cries from the public for the woman's identity to be revealed, Victorian Police have refused to provide information, deeming the risk too severe for the woman and her family.

"A lot of people are upset," the Chief Commissioner stated in a press conference earlier today. "A lot of emotions are riding high. Revealing her identity now would solve nothing..."

I stop reading and look back at the wall, and before I realised I've even begun, the paper is ripped apart and scattered at my feet. 

...

Next chapter out in a week :) 

- Skylar xx