Arrival of Drumstrang and Beauxbatons

Their lessons were becoming more difficult and demanding than ever before, particularly Moody's DADA class.

To their surprise, Professor Moody had announced that he would be putting the Imperius Curse on each of them in turn, to demonstrate its power and to see whether they could resist its effects.

"But, you said it's illegal, Professor," said Hermione uncertainly as Moody cleared away the desks with a sweep of his wand, leaving a large clear space in the middle of the room. "You said to use it against another human was-"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," said Moody, his magical eye swiveling onto Hermione and fixing her with an eerie, unblinking stare. "If you'd rather learn the hard way when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely, fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."

He pointed one gnarled finger toward the door. Hermione went very pink and muttered something about not meaning that she wanted to leave. Harry and Ron stared at each other. They knew Hermione would rather eat bubotuber pus than miss such an important lesson.

Moody began to beckon, soon scored in turn, and put the Imperious Curse upon them. Estella watched as, one by one; his classmates did the most extraordinary things under its influence. Dean Thomas hopped three times around the room, singing the National Anthem. Lavender Brown imitated a squirrel. Neville performed a series of quite astonishing gymnastics he would certainly not be able to do in his normal state. Not one of them seemed to be able to fight off the curse, and each of them recovered only when Moody removed it.

"Dumbledore," Moody growled, "you're next."

Estella moved up to the middle of the cleared desks. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at her, and said, "Imperio!"

Estella waited and waited to feel something, only to be left standing there. Her eyes drifted to Moody, who stared at her, almost as if analyzing her.

"Hmm, look at that! No effect on Dumbledore! Marvelous and quite interesting. Never seen anything like it!" Moody growled, his eyes following Estella.

Estella moved back next to Hermione, Ron, and Harry, ignoring the puzzled looks she received from her classmates.

"Does it have anything to do with your abilities?" Hermione whispered.

Estella shrugged, "I genuinely have no idea; I'll have to letter my dad."

"Potter," Moody growled, "you next."

Harry moved forward into the middle of the classroom, into the space Moody had cleared of desks. Moody raised his wand, pointed it at Harry, and said, "Imperio!"

Estella watched as Harry jumped and tried to prevent himself from jumping, cringing as he smashed headlong into the desk, knocking it over and fracturing his kneecaps.

"Now, that's more like it!" growled Moody's voice. "Look at that, you lot. Potter fought! He fought it and damn near beat it! We'll try that again, Potter, and the rest of you, pay attention-watch his eyes; that's where you see it-very good, Potter, very good indeed! They'll have trouble controlling you!"

**********

All the fourth-years had noticed a definite increase in the amount of work they were required to do this term. Professor McGonagall explained why when the class gave a particularly loud groan at the amount of Transfiguration homework she'd assigned.

"You are now entering the most important phase of your magical education!" she told them, her eyes glinting dangerously behind her square spectacles. "Your Ordinary Wizarding levels are drawing closer-"