chapter nine ~ part two

~Marley~

~Marley~

This had been her life for the past four years... the screams, the tears, the pleads, all of it. It didn't start off the way it is now, it was a progression, right after the death of her father Marley's mother had started drinking. Although it hadn't come as a shock to her or her brother because what else was to be expected, the person that she had spent twenty years with had been gone. But not only was he gone, he chose to leave.

Marley had been the one to find her father that fateful day. She walked in the house expecting him to be sitting on the couch reading the paper, instead she found him hanging in the basement with the record on the record player scratching as if it had been playing for hours.

She called the police as fast as she could but she knew it was too late, his lifeless body had been there for god only knows how long and there was nothing anybody was going to be able to do to bring him back.

At the age of thirteen Marley had lost both of their parents, one to suicide and the other to addiction.

For the first few months, her mother would simply drink the pain away. She wouldn't even come home from work, she would simply leave for the bar as soon as she had clocked out and sometimes wouldn't come home for days on end.

Then the drugs started.

The first she had ever come home high was on Marley's fourteenth birthday. She had come home from school to find that the house had been decorated by Luke, who was only twelve at the time, along with the smell of the burnt birthday cake he had tried to make her. Her heart had melted at the gesture because the two were never really that close. Before their father had died Luke had always been closest with their mother, while Marley was attached to her dad's hip never wanting to leave his side. They would fight constantly and couldn't even be in the same room together without it ending in an argument.

That year had changed a lot between the two Beck siblings, because they not only had to find a way to take care of themselves, but they had a three year old brother who they needed to protect from this horrible world they had found themselves in.

Luke and Marley were awake cleaning the house up when their mother had come home that night. It was the first time they had seen her in days and from the moment she had walked in they knew something was different than all the other times.

She was clawing at her skin as if she was trying to peel it off, her hands were shaking at a pace their eyes couldn't even keep up with, and she had looked skinnier since the last time they saw her.

"Mum," Luke says as he carefully walks over to her.

She snapped her head up at him faster than the speed of light, a grin plastered on her face as she twitched her head quickly to the left as she let out a laugh.

"Be quiet," Marley says harshly through her teeth, completely done with her mother after all this time, "Cole is sleeping."

A silence came over the group as the siblings stared at their mother, her pupils so big Marley wasn't even entirely sure how she was able to see. Her brown eyes flicked between them countless amounts of times before her body twitched and her head cocked completely to the left as she sniffed hard. When her head slowly turned towards them all they saw was a dark, red line of blood dripping from her nose down to her lips. she quickly tried to wipe it away but they both had seen it.