Chapter 52

Alexandra walked into the ballroom behind her grandfather, but the eyes of everyone inside the enormous hall followed her around. She was feeling rather uncomfortable, because Alexandra was used to being invisible to the eyes of others. But now, she felt as if she was being on display.

     For a second Alexandra feared that maybe the reason they were staring so intensely at her was because her dress was ripped in some places. So with her heart throbbing nervously in her chest, she kept throwing quick glances down at herself to check for something unusual.

     But oddly enough, everything seemed to be in order, and thus Alexandra was left with the unsettling feeling of having no idea what was wrong with her that had caught everybody's attention.

     It wasn't even like she was overdressed for this party or anything, because there were many witches present at the Ball who were wearing much fancier gowns than hers. And Alexandra knew that she wasn't exactly a Veela to grab everyone's eyes like that. She wasn't even sure if it were the good kind of staring, if that makes any sense.

     But then what was wrong that had caused everyone to stare at her as she walked by?

     "Ah, Marcellus, welcome!" Alexandra was snapped out of her thoughts when an old man walked forward and shook her grandfather's hand.

     The old man's hair was so blond that it looked rather silver, and his eyes were pale blue, empty of emotions but full of pride. He wore robes of luxurious materials and his black shoes shone and looked more expensive than all others.

     "Abraxas." Mr. Starling gave him a curt nod, not even bothering to force a fake smile. "I believe congratulations are in order. Now, where is your son?"

     "Let's see... ah! Lucius!" Abraxas Malfoy looked over through the crowd before gesturing a young man over.

     With his head held up high, Lucius Malfoy walked forward, his hair and eyes resembling those of his father's. He too was wearing expensive clothes, though his hair was longer than his father's.

     Alexandra hadn't been to Hogwarts with him, because Lucius was eight years older than her. But she had seen him many times before at the Christmas Balls that the Malfoys hosted every year. Although she'd never had good feelings toward him because of the way he behaved around others.

     "Mr. Starling," Lucius nodded politely as he reached them, shaking his hand.

     "Oh, and Lucius, you remember Alexandra, right?" said old Abraxas, gesturing over at the young girl with a hint of a smirk upon his mouth. "Marcellus's... er... granddaughter."

     "Yes, of course," Lucius said shortly, glancing down at Alexandra before grinning at her. "Nice costume, by the way."

     "C-costume?" Alexandra repeated unsurely, looking down at herself with a confused frown. "This is not a costume."

     Lucius sneered. "So you're telling me it was a complete coincidence that you dressed like her —?"

     "Lucius!" Abraxas snapped at his son sharply, cutting him off. He then turned to face Mr. Starling remorsefully, saying, "My apologies. He still acts as rude as a school boy sometimes." By those words, he then glared sideways at his son, who looked down with a grimace out of humiliation.

     "No, worries," said Mr. Starling, though there was no tone of forgiveness in his voice. "Send my best to Narcissa, if I don't get the honor to speak with her personally tonight."

     But Alexandra had stopped listening. Her eyes were now roaming the enormous ballroom for the first time that evening, as if desperately searching for something, or rather someone.

     The place was lit up by glorious chandeliers hung above them on the high ceiling and a large Christmas tree with silver ornaments stood tall in the middle of the hall, enchanted snow falling upon it from the ceiling magically and designing it with white frost.

     Many instruments were floating a few inches above the floor in a corner such as cellos and violins, magically playing a music without any musicians behind them. The house-elves were running around though the crowd, carrying trays filled with snacks or drinks above their heads, yet no one seemed to pay them the slightest attention as they picked up their glasses.

     The hall was filled with witches and wizards wearing different robes in all colors, talking and drinking champagne and expensive wine. But Alexandra was disappointed that Regulus still hadn't shown up.

     Her grandfather had already walked off to speak with a few of his old friend — if that was really what they were called — and Alexandra was left alone in a corner, watching the people from afar.

     Every once in a while, her eyes wandered toward the entrance of the hall to see if Regulus had arrived or not. But he was still nowhere to be seen. Alexandra had a grim thought that maybe he hadn't even been invited to begin with.

     Although she suddenly jumped when someone tapped on her shoulder, saying smoothly, "May I have this dance, Miss Starling?"

     Alexandra turned around, but her heart sank when she saw who it was.

     "What are you doing here?" she said in surprise as she saw Avery standing before her, smirking down at her.

     "I was invited, of course," said Avery, a sneer spread across his face. "Now how about that dance?"

     "No, thank you," Alexandra tried to say firmly, holding her head up high sternly. She then turned on her heels to leave, but she yelped when Avery quickly grabbed her arm harshly, stopping her.

     "Ouch! Let go!" Alexander whispered fiercely, glaring up at him as she tried to escape his tight grip, but it seemed impossible to get away from him.

     "I'm afraid, I don't take no for an answer," Avery said with a smirk, still holding onto her arm.

     But suddenly a hoarse voice snapped behind them, "I think she asked you to let her go!"