Chapter 7

The phone rang loudly and Lorraine jumped from her spot on the couch, wrapping the blanket around her shoulders. As the rain hit the window, she has decided to curl up on the couch with a book, waiting for the daily phone call. She picked it up and smiled, knowing who was at the other side of the call.
'Hello, Lor!'
Her smile spread even more. She really missed Ed.
'Hi there! How are things going on there?'
By that question they both knew what she meant. What was going on with Ruby. Lorraine has insisted every single day that he should check up on her and after he did, he told her everything was fine. Maybe it was for the moment, because after what she has felt inside that house, she had every right to worry.
'Everything is fine, just like it was yesterday.'
'Yeah, but...'
She stopped in the middle of the sentence. How could she explain how worried she was when she didn't even tell him what she had felt and heard.
'Just trust me, okay?' Ed's voice heard when she didn't say continue. 'Like I trust you.'
That made her feel even more guilty for not telling him. He didn't ask, but she could tell that he was worried about it.
'But how is it there?' he continued the conversation. 'Is you grandma alright?'
'I wouldn't exactly say alright...Her sickness is getting a bit worse but I don't know what to say. Maybe there still is hope.'
'Oh, I'm sorry.'
His honesty heard even through the phone and it comforted her. Since she and her mother got there, her grandmother has been feeling pretty bad, but not terrible. Of course that they were worried since she was already old.
'And how long are you stuck there?'
Lorraine didn't answer right away and threw a short glare to the calendar from the wall. It's been five days since she was there and all she wanted was to go back. Her mother became very annoying by each day even if she had done everything the way she said.
'I don't know. Mom might sent me back alone soon, I hope so.'
'I hope so too. Because I miss you,' Ed spoke with a calm voice and it was like she could hear his smile.
A smile cornered on her face too. 'I miss you too, Ed.'
Someone called her from the other room.
'Gotta go. Duty calls,' she announced, sad that their moment was now ruined.
'Okay. We'll hear each other tomorrow.'
'As usually.'

Two days later, Lorraine jumped out of the train, carrying her small luggage in her hand. The usual smell of the city, the smell of dust, filled her nostrils. Even if it was not pleasant it made her feel like home.
People kept pushing her around and stumbling against her so she decided to wait until the platform was clear enough. That's when she saw his charming smile. The smile that he would only show to her.
He rushed along the platform and she let her bag fall on the ground. Lorraine threw herself in Ed's opened arms and he picked her up from the ground and shortly spun around, holding her. The sweet cinnamon smell that he always associated with her filled his nostrils as he buried his face in her neck.
'I missed you so much,' he murmured and placed her back on the ground.
Her finger ran across his cheek as she spoke back lovingly:
'I missed you too.'
Smiling like an idiot, Ed picked up her luggage and with the right hand he held hers.
They were walking slowly on the street, talking and catching up after those long days of missing each other. Ed was avoiding as subtle as possible the subject of Ruby. Just like she was avoiding the subject of her vision.
However, they both knew that moment was going to come. It was just a matter of time until one of them brought it up. And that one was Lorraine.
'Have you been to Ruby lately?'
For a few moments the only thing that could be heard was the sound of their steps on the street.
'I didn't actually get to talk to her...We met with her mother and she said that Ruby is fine.'
'But? I can hear that there is a "but" coming.'
'Adam and I sat under the window and listened.'
The way Lorraine's eyes became a bit darker of concern scared Ed.
'You didn't tell me any of that before,' she pointed out, keeping a cold note in her voice.
'I didn't want you to worry more. You were already having a hard time with your grandma.'
She squeezed his hand gently.
'Alright. Go on.'
'She was very sick. Apparently she didn't even remember what she has done at a moment, I don't know what that was about.'
The anger she quietly kept to herself burst suddenly and she stopped to look at him. Her eyes were throwing lightnings like a summer storm.
'You should have told me about it!' Lorraine shouted.
'And you should have told me what happened inside that damn house!'
All the frustration and panic he has felt in the past days came to the surface. She stopped just as fast as she snapped and watched him with fear in her eyes.