Chapter 50: Ocean eyes

"Prepare the ship, Anakin." Obi-Wan walked into the cockpit and noticed his friend leaning against one of the walls, chatting with his captain. He frowned when he saw his former master walk into the ship, immediately pushing himself off the wall and staring as Obi-Wan settled into one of the chairs and started to press all the buttons, making the ship come to life. He turned back to Rex who seemed just as confused as he was. The commander shrugged, patted Anakin on the shoulder before leaving quietly.

"Obi-Wan, what are you doing here?" Anakin walked towards him, watching in bewilderment. His eyes darted to the outside, watching the fading lights in the distance and the moon that now overpowered them. "I thought we weren't planning on leaving till morning."

"Change of plans." Obi-Wan spoke calmly, starting the engines and watching them get hot as he pushed the corresponding lever up. He'd fallen right back into his usual routine without even having to think about it. There was an aching voice in the back of his head telling him to stop but like all those years before he ignored it completely.

"What?" Anakin's eyes darted between him and the palace in the distance. "No!" He dashed forward the moment the ship was taking off, pulling the lever back down and shutting off the engine.

"Anakin!" Obi-Wan scolded him immediately, piercing eyes darting to him accusingly when the ship rumbled and fell back to the ground with a loud thud. "What are you doing? Are  you trying to crash another ship?!"

"You have one chance at this, Obi-Wan, and I am not going to watch you ruin it." Anakin put up one finger as he felt his frustration flow into his words. He grasped Obi-Wan's hand when it went back to the lever, slapping it away. "You can't leave her like this!" Anakin continued, holding the lever in his own hand and preventing him from trying again.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Anakin and I don't want to know." Obi-Wan's eyes darkened as he leaned back into his chair, watching him with an attentive look. "Now stop your crazy antics and let's get back to Coruscant." He nudged his head into the direction of Anakin's pilot chair.

"She is right there!" Anakin protested, letting out a groan filled with frustration. "I know you care about her. Surely that would affect your decision." He watched as Obi-Wan scoffed and crossed his arms, narrowing his eyes and staring over his shoulders. "This is your last chance to be with her and I'm not going to watch you throw it away like this."

Obi-Wan's eyes narrowed even further as he redirected his gaze towards his former apprentice. "We are not leaving till morning." Anakin straightened his back and looked down at him. "We literally can't. I sent the clones back to join the feast and enjoy themselves until sunrise. What you do with that time is up to you."

"Fine." Obi-Wan bit and stood up abruptly, coming face to face with Anakin as they continued their contest of hard stares. Anakin was unrelenting. Downside was that Obi-Wan possessed that specific character trait too. "Have the ship prepared at sunrise." He growled, walking past Anakin and bumping his shoulder in the process.

"Where are you going?" Hopeful eyes watched his retreating figure.

"I'm going to get a drink."

~

"Oh, you idiot." I groaned, leaning my elbows on the nightstand. Closing my eyes, I could feel the world swirl around me, dizzy and without a vast thing to keep me standing. Looking up in the mirror I saw the smeared make up running down my face, my hair tussled and messy and my eyes completely empty. Gods, I hated myself.

I'd returned back to the feast thinking I could drown my sorrows. Yet all I did was sit there, watching everyone laughing, dancing and drinking and feeling more alone than ever. I was surrounded by people yet at the same time it felt like I was the only person in the world. I couldn't even bring myself to drink the alcohol most of the attendees tried to feed me, or to listen to the men that tried to seduce me and earn the chance to be king.