Chapter 10 | "all in the details"

After taking care of Minjae, Jihyun continues throughout her day, the word quickly spreading about the change in her attitude as students begin to loosen up around her. She notices the lift in mood as she walks by, the students still obviously terrified of her, but now some sending her nervous smiles and looking at her without turning pale. It was a strange feeling, but a good one.

It's the end of the day as Jihyun is walking through the hallway, all the students having retreated to their rooms for the night to study for the upcoming final sort.

"So, it seems as though there's some hope for you after all, huh?" Jaehyun swings his arm over her shoulder, walking in step with her as he and Taeyong emerge from their offices.

"What are you on about?" She questions, nudging him in the side playfully.

"I heard you actually, dare I say, were kind to a student? Sent someone to the nurse to get" he paused for effect, "healed?"

He lets out an overdramatic gasp, causing Taeyong and Jihyun to both laugh.  Upon hearing her laugh, Taeyong stops them in their tracks, quickly grabbing Jihyun's face and putting a hand on her forehead.

"What in the world are you doing Tae?" She says, continuing to smile at his actions. He drops his hands and stares at Jaehyun with worry on his face.

"Jae, it's worse than we thought. She laughed and smiled. I knew it, she's dying." He says, his voice full of fake concern before the three break out into light laughter.

"You guys are the worst" she says, playfully shoving both of them before continuing to walk. "I said I'm trying. I used to be really likable you know."

"Oh we remember, you were a wild child before you hit 18."

"yeah well, becoming a mafia boss will do that to you, but at least I have you idiots to try and bring back some sanity into my life." She sighs.The two boys smile at each other upon hearing her remarks, knowing that she was really trying.

"So, are we heading home now? I'll race you two." Taeyong says, pulling his keys out of his pockets.

"Actually" Jihyun says, "I'm going to train here for a bit. I'm getting sick of being stuck at home and from what the boys tell me, training here is pretty nice." Jaehyun nods in response.

"Yeah, the facilities here are a nice change from back home, Taeyong and I use them a lot." He responds with a smile.

"Good. Now that I'm trying to not constantly be on edge around here, I'll go give it a shot. See you guys at home." She says before standing on her tiptoes and giving each of them a kiss on the cheek before walking down the hallway towards the training center.

A blush reaches both the boys faces as they turn to look at one another.

" I never realized how much her past was weighing her down." Taeyong remarks, his eyes wide in surprise.

"I know. Now that she's talked about it, she's like a new person. Like the girl she used to be."

"I thought that girl died, but I guess not."

"Maybe theres hope, after all." Jaehyun says, turning to look at her figure retreating down the hallway. The two boys shrug it off with a smile before turning to walk out of the building.

"You know Jae, you're ears are so red I think they might explode."

"Shut up Taeyong, I'm going to beat your ass" Jaehyun growls back. Taeyong hops in his car quickly rolling down the window.

"you gotta catch me first, Jeffrey!" He shouts out before speeding out of the parking lot, Jaehyun right behind him.

- - -