Chapter 6

A/N some fan art!
——————————

TW: Sexual assault

I went back to my room feeling uneasy. Everything in my life right now was so uncertain and every time I thought I thought I found an anchor, it slipped away. I checked the clock noticing that I had to get to a meeting in the next ten minutes. I took a fast shower and headed to work. With my father gone, a lot of meetings were led by me and people, advisors, were looking for answers. I had back to back meetings, debriefings, and hearings all day long. It wasn't too bad, though. It was a nice distraction from everything else. I checked on Marlee and Carter before returning to my room to work on some paperwork. I was completely wiped but if I stopped even for a second, all the anxiety would come flooding back. There was a sense of calmness that rested on the palace with my father gone and everyone seemed to feel a bit lighter and happier, excluding me. That just placed more work and stress on my shoulders. I had barely spent any time with the Elite.

"Sir," called Hunter from my doorway. I lifted my head and nodded, telling him to enter. "Lady Kriss has requested you." I sighed and reclined on my chair. I didn't want to stand her up, but the thought of diverting my attention back to the selection was already stressing me out. I glanced at the clock, it was well past 9.

"Very well," I said finally. "I'll be right there." I packed up all my papers. On my way out, I checked my appearance in the mirror by the grand piano. The gel in my hair was pretty much sweat out, making my faint curls visible. My shirt was rumpled and untucked, resting over my beltless slacks. Whatever. I made my way to Kriss's room and knocked.

"It's open," she called. I pushed the door and sauntered inside. Kriss lifted her head to me and a look of surprise flashed across her face.

"You wear glasses?" she asked. I forgot I had those on.

"Oh, yes. I suppose you've never seen me like this. I apologize for my lazy attire," I replied.

"It's not a problem, trust me." She threw her legs over the side of her bed and pat the spot next to her for me to come sit down. "I think it's cute," she said blushing. She brought her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on them. From this angle, I truly appreciated her beauty. She had plain features, brown hair, brown eyes and tan skin, but something about her made it so unique. You're absolutely endearing.

"Thanks," she said with a giggle. I blushed furiously realising I had said that aloud.

"Sorry," I mumbled.

"Hey, you can stop apologizing, silly," she said crinkling her nose in the most adorable way.

"Okay sor- ah. Okay then. Was there a reason you called?" I asked. 

"Oh...um no actually. I guess I just missed you. Just wanted to talk."  Right then it hit me. It was random, unanticipated and almost scary. My heart softened. Kriss...she was amazing. I realised then how quickly I could actually fall for her, more than a friend. I couldn't exactly let my manners slip or let myself completely relax around her like I did with America, but she was someone that you just wanted to open up to. I reclined on her bed as she stood to walk to her vanity.

"Your father seems a bit scary," she said taking the remaining pins out of her hair. I shrugged.

"I suppose he is sometimes. He wasn't always like this."

"How do you mean?" She sidled up next to me on the center of her bed.

"When I was younger, about eight, he used to take me out to this corner of the gardens to play with me. We created a game called 'Duck, Duck, Moose' and the objective of it was to run away from the moose and capture the golden leaf before he caught you. He would actually get on all fours and chase me and my valet, Hunter, around." I began to laugh lightly. "Looking back it was so stupid."