14 || unity day

IT'S BEEN FOUR DAYS SINCE LINCOLN ESCAPED AND CLARKE AND BELLAMY BOUGHT BACK GUNS. Today was Unity Day. 

I hate Unity Day.

You wanna know why I hate Unity Day?

First of all, Unity Day only exists because the thirteenth station got blown up. Second of all, ever since I can remember, my parents forced me into every single Unity Day pageant and performance there was. To make matters worse, people liked watching me do it. They liked me in it so much, I was front and center for every single performance, I even had to recite the Unity Day speech.

There was a small crowd around the radio, which Raven had moved outside for people to watch. Jaha was giving his annual speech.

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her." The Chancellor said over the radio. "Next year, on the ground."

"Right. After we did all the work," Miller scoffed. "Someone shut him up." I giggled from my spot next to Raven. I was finally allowed out of bed after two more days of recovery, Clarke just told me to take it easy.

"You shut up, Miller." Raven retorted. "No one's forcing you to watch."

Jaha continued his speech, I was only watching because I wanted to know who got dragged out to do the pageant this year. Last year, when we were still in the Sky Box, they let us watch it from a T.V in the prison cafeteria.

If I remember correctly, a girl named Reese had to make the speech last year. I overheard Abby tell Clarke she was going blind now due to the lack of oxygen. I felt bad for her, despite being two years older than me, Reese was always very kind to me.

"Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again!" Jasper cheered, emerging from Monty's tent with a big batch of moonshine. "I call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty?" He started filling up people's cups and water bottles with the homemade alcohol. I, of course, am not old enough to drink.

"To our sons and daughters on Earth listening to this message, we will see you soon. The first Exodus ship will launch in under sixty hours, carrying you the reinforcements that you need, so stay strong. Help is on the way," Jaha babbled on with his speech.

I rolled my eyes, Miller was right.

"What's your problem, Spark?" Raven laughed, nudging me.

"Nothing, you know I hate Unity Day," I answered.

"C'mon Unity Princess," The brunette teased. "Give us a twirl, show us a dance." She razzed.

I ignored her and turned my attention back to the screen. 

"But enough from me. You are all here for the pageant anyway, right?" Jaha joked. I definitely was. "Without further ado, I present the story of us."

I was trying to guess who would tell the story this year. When the screen switched to the pageant, I was surprised to see that an eight year old girl named Leigh was telling it. She was probably the last person I would have guessed, always being the shy kid.

Now that I had seen who was being tortured with the speech, I didn't bother listening. I walked off in search of something to do because I knew the big kids would all be getting drunk.

Hours passed, it got dark and the teenagers got drunk. I looked around for Finn since I knew he hated Unity Day too, and probably wouldn't be drinking.