Epilogue

Months passed. The city of Eagle's Fall had been rebuilt and grown stronger than ever before. The Valerians learned from their mistakes and improved where they could. Hope reappeared in their hearts and the kingdom had risen with it. More and more they began to reach out to other planets in their galaxy, providing aid and supplies where needed to try and even their scores.

Everyone had left the past behind and learned from its mistakes to strive to be better like Aidan had told them to. All except for one. The queen was still lost in the clouds, seeking something to fill the empty void the jedi had left behind. She seemed to have left her past self behind and embraced the duties that came with being the phoenix, as she had promised herself the day they had left.

Instead of working as a healer she now instead aimed to prevent the people from getting hurt in the first place by quelling issues before they could get dangerous. Where a problem arose, the queen was first to attend to it, letting herself sink into her work to keep herself from facing reality.

As one would expect, the problems started to disappear the more she worked. Most saw it as an accomplishment, something to celebrate, a reward for her hard work yet the queen grew frustrated with the decline. She needed something to keep her occupied for when she allowed herself to rest she would begin to reminisce on what could have been and what she was still missing.

There was a growing restlessness within her, something that craved more. What, she didn't know and it scared her with its intensity. So instead, she drank her worries away when she had nothing to do, living to fight another threat the next day. The one thing that got her through was the dream, that promise, that she would see him again. 

What a beautiful dream it was. She fought against the last remaining rebels still roaming the kingdoms, hunted down the traitors that had fled court and killed the monsters that plagued the southern borders of her kingdom. Soon the legend of the phoenix became the most popular tale of all. The more often it was told, the more they left out the part of her unlikely allies that in the end made her who she was now.

If Lyanna knew what was happening she would've corrected them without a doubt but she was too far up in the clouds to notice. The queen often didn't return directly after facing down a threat. Instead, she occasionally visited an unlikely friend.

The cave was familiar to her, the tree of life still ever blooming, magic flowing through its branches and seemingly protecting the person they had placed beneath it, hidden deep within the mountains for no one to find. There was a secret passageway that only she and Aidan knew of, one that was impossible to find without the intel.

"I killed another dragon." Lyanna mumbled through tight lips, cleaning the blood off her sword while sitting on the cold stones. The leaves collided with her cheeks, ripping her from her train of thought. The wind whirled through her hair as she sighed deeply, lifting her gaze from the iron and watching the crystal prison. Her eyes focused on his, the brown irises clear through the encasing in which he was entrapped.

"It was the last of his kind. If he had given me a choice, I would've let him live." She stood up, pacing in front of the glowing crystal. "Now his only legacy are the ashes he left behind."

"I wish... I wish you had given me a choice." Dropping her gaze, she stalled. It was at that exact spot that her mother had been killed, she remembered. For as far as she knew, it was the final push that had taken Arthas down the path of darkness. 

Lyanna believed her spirit was still there, giving life to the tree and everything around her. She could feel her presence as she walked closer to it, her fingers gliding over the soft wood. It hummed with a power that was familiar to her but also completely unknown. Maybe with her soul accompanying him during his imprisonment, Arthas might see the light in the end.