Chapter 1

"Y/N! Dinner is ready!"

"Coming Josh"

You stand up out of your desk chair disappointedly. You had been mindlessly responding to comments on Twitter, not really having done anything all day. Still, anything was better than having yet another awkward meal with your step-dad, Josh. You hated him. He had married your mom about 3 months before she had passed. She had struggled with cancer for years, but her death was still sudden. You never trusted Josh. Your mom adored him, but you saw the things he said to her when he thought no one could see. Now it is just you, Josh, and your cat, Daisy, in this big house. Your mom was extremely successful. She was the CEO of a company called NextGen. They designed sustainable energy solutions in America. You have always thought that the only reason Josh married your mom was for her money. He pushed her to go to work, even when she could barely get out of bed. He had started to treat you poorly too, but no one knew. No one would find out either. People already treated you differently since your mom died, and you didn't need to give them another reason to treat you like you were hopeless. You pulled yourself out of your thoughts when you heard a plate slide across the table towards you.

"Eat! And hurry, I am having a friend over tonight, and I don't need you scaring them away."

A twinge of hurt swiped across your face before you quickly pushed it off. You knew who was coming over, and it wasn't just a friend. It was Josh's ex-girlfriend. They had started seeing each other after your mom's passing, but you had a feeling it was longer than that. You knew better than to correct Josh, though.

You begin eating the pasta quickly, craving the safety of your room.

"Stop stuffing your face, you look like a pig!"

The harshness of his voice causes you to flinch. You had never been secure with how you looked, and Josh's comments certainly didn't help. Anytime he got the chance, he would point out your weight, acne, and pretty much anything he knew would get under your skin.

You slowed your eating, but still tried to finish as fast as possible. Before he called you downstairs, you were just about to get a stream started. You have been streaming on Twitch for about 2 years now, and you mainly streamed Minecraft. Your community was small, but you loved it. You had built it from the ground up, and you were proud of that. Recently though, you had been picking up momentum. Over the last few months, Minecraft has gotten really popular again. You weren't sure exactly why, but you weren't going to complain.

You had finished your meal and gotten up to wash your dish. Once done, you set it on the drying rack and bounded up the stairs. You quickly closed the door behind you and locked the door, even though Josh would be pissed if he found out. Your room was small but decorated to your liking. You had LED lights, a tapestry, and posters of your favorite movies covering the walls. Then of course you had your streaming set up. It wasn't anything insane, but it was perfect for you. Originally, you had started streaming because of your friend Kiera. She had introduced you to a few streamers and youtubers a few years ago. You have wanted to be an actress for as long as you could remember, and streaming was kind of the only chance you had at anything in that realm.

You set your lights to purple, grab a water, and sit down. You make sure everything is ready to go and press the bright purple button that would start your stream. You made sure to tweet about your stream before this, so a few people joined almost immediately. Once the viewer count had gotten to about 100, you took off the starting soon screen, and your face appeared on the screen.

"Hi everyone! Welcome, welcome! Today I don't have much of a plan, but I thought we could try and speedrun in 1.16!"

*Time Skip* ~2 hours later

"Yes!! Finally, chat, sub 25!"

You have a big smile beaming across your face. That was a record for you, and it was pretty good in the Minecraft world. You are exhausted, though, and get ready to end the stream. You quickly turn your facecam to fullscreen. You ended with about 1000 viewers, which was about average for you.

"Alrighty guys, I think I am going to end up! Thank you all so much for coming, it was so fun! I hope you are all doing well, have a good night!"

You wave to the camera and blow a few kisses. Your mom always did this, so it must've been another habit you'd inherited from her. People told you that you were practically a carbon copy of her, although you didn't agree. You would've never trusted Josh. Although you didn't hold this against her, you always wished that she had followed your intuition when she had the chance. Now you are stuck with that excuse of a step-dad for at least 2 more years. You start fantasizing about your life without him in it when a sharp yell pulls you out of your thoughts.

"Open the door! Why do you have it locked?"

You quickly bound out of your chair and undo the lock.

"I am sorry, I was streaming."

"God Y/N, why don't you just give that up already. You are never going to get anywhere with it."

You stay silent. You wanted to fight back and tell him of your success, but it was no use. It never was with him. He pushes his way into your room, pushing you into the door frame. It hurt, but you wouldn't let him have the satisfaction of knowing that.

"What did you want to tell me?"

"Y/N, we are moving to the UK."