f o u r t e e n

Ember

    MY HEART IS BEATING OUTSIDE OF MY CHEST. I haven't seen Kam in a year. We left on gods awful terms. He told me he could never be with someone like me and left me. Never even came back to at least say good-bye as I sailed back to Marelli. I guess that was my first real breakup. Faune hadn't come with Reighla and me for the trip to Tennia. She had exams and couldn't miss them. So Reighla took me with her alone. It was actually a lot of fun. Reighla was gone all day at business meetings so I got to explore the country. We stayed in the capital—Kryler. It was beautiful. The Elves were lovely. They showed me their beautiful gardens, their dainty tea shops. I loved every minute of it. I can remember it so vividly, the day I got to explore on my own.

    I walked down this lovely stone bridge I had found in the forest, it was old and deserted, moss and little white flowers were growing out of the crevices of the stone. I sat all day on it enjoying the peace and quiet when suddenly the sun was gone from behind me and a shadow was looming over me. I looked up to see the most beautiful man standing over me. He had molten gold eyes. They reminded me so much of Faune's, but his were pure gold whereas Faune's were honey. He had tawny skin, it looked sandy to me. But, it seemed light at the same time. My immediate thought was that he was from Oshien. He looked Oshienian. But Oshienians didn't come to Tennia. Ever. There has been bad blood with them for centuries. He had to be mixed. His pointed ears proved my theory. Definitely Fae or Elf. Elves usually had colourful skin tones though. Ranging from bright greens to dark pinks. This man had no bright coloured skin.

    His hair was midnight coloured and perfect. It was fluffy and styled. My fingers had yearned to mess it up. It wasn't fair for someone to look this beautiful and get away with it. Especially his face, he had a strong jaw and sharp cheekbones. His lips were full and puckered. His eye lashes were what I was most envious over. They were thick and long. They were naturally curled too. I hated him just from looking at his face. No one needed to be that beautiful.

    "What are you doing?" He asked, his accent was smooth and elegant. He sounded like a prince. "I'm enjoying the quiet, well I was enjoying the quiet." I said with a sharp look. He narrowed his eyes, his eyes roved over me, assessing me. "There were other places you could've gone for quiet." He said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

    "I liked it here." I replied.

    He walked over to my side and dropped down, sitting cross-legged beside me. "This is my spot." He said, not looking at me.

    I look around obnoxiously, "I don't see your name on it." He chuckled.

    "I suppose you're right." He looked at me and smiled, "What's your name?" He asked. I looked him dead in the eyes, staring blankly at him. "Guess." His face scrunched up and his eyebrows pinched together.

"You want me to guess your name?" He asked incredulously.

"Yes, was I unclear?" He scoffed at my tone, it made me smile. Oh, it was fun pissing him off. He glared at me for a moment then studied me. My body tensed. His gaze was like fire on my skin.

"Hannah," he said.

I tilted my head back and burst out laughing.

"Do I look like a Hannah to you?" I asked.

He looked me up and down then narrowed his eyes, "Yes."

"What about me?" He asked, gesturing to himself.

I turned my body so I could look at all of him. I tapped my chin twice and tilted my head to the side. He rolled his eyes at me. "Bob."

He started sputtering. Proper sputtering. I had to bite my cheek to stop from howling at his face. He looked like he could die from a heart attack at any moment. "Bob?! I do not look like a Bob!"