twelve - you

xxxxxxxx.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

|"Did you water that flower?"

The girl did not look like she was going to entertain you with a reply. Her eyes went from focusing on your appearing figure, to the watering can that was set down on the floor not far from where she stood, to the flower that you held dear.

Then, at long last, the word that you yearned to hear - her answer, came from her lips.

"Yes."

Her eyes lowered, to the point that she looked like she was closing them but not quite.

"I did."

The voice that belonged to the girl was not one you expected to hear. It seemed soft - gentle, even.

Before you knew it, you were asking for her name. Studying her choice of clothing, you continued, "Do you attend this school?"

"It doesn't matter. You will forget soon enough, anyway." She turned to look down a paved path that led to this spot from the school's backgates.

"I'll save you some trouble." She turned on her heel and went on her way.

You wanted to stop her, you really did. You didn't even get her name yet! You had already extended an arm towards her, yearning for-

What did you want from her?

No, no no nono. Not "want from". "Want with".

Something about her made you feel like you needed to help this person. You inhaled a sharp breath when you realised that situation sounded exactly like another you're familiar with.

Like that flower.

That small, pitiful flower. People'd walk past it, notice it, notice how small and how out of place it looks. But that's it. They won't do anything because of that.

It doesn't matter to them.

What do they get out of giving some care to a flower that nobody will probably even remember for the next day, week and even year?

nothing.

So why bother cultivating something?

Especially when it's not going to work?

You scoffed to yourself. "I hate that it actually makes sense." You looked up to the sky, the sun still out in all its glimmer and shine. "How am I supposed to change that?" You muttered, eyes still staring at the sun despite the glare.

"Change what?"

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

???

words: 366
published: 19/11/2020