1 || Rooftop Dreams

Izuku Midoriya felt numb. For sure, he'd felt better earlier, when he had a sprinkling of hope a few hours earlier. Looking back at it, it was a stupid question.

     "Even if I don't have a quirk, can I be a hero?"

     He'd imagined asking the man that so many times. Too many, actually, but he'd never thought he'd actually get to. All Might had turned his head enough to look back at him, and Midoriya couldn't read him.

     "Without a quirk?"

     That question. It probably should've given away his answer. Still, Midoriya pushed the doubt aside and held out his hope.

     And then All Might had shown his true form.

     Midoriya was surprised, who wouldn't be? Still, it made sense, he supposed. A transformation quirk wasn't unheard of, although it's not among the most popular type of quirk in the hero business.

     Eventually, they got back to Midoriya's original question.

     "If you want to help others, then you could also become a police officer- or a nurse."

     Closing his eyes, the greenette let the words replay in his head. He'd heard them before, phrased differently, but still the same.

     "If you wanna be a hero so bad, why don't you make it easier for yourself and take a swan dive off the roof? Maybe you'll have a quirk in your next life!"

     Midoriya flinched physically as the quote came into his mind. He'd nearly forgotten about it after his encounter with All Might. He's on a roof now

      Shaking his head, Midoriya shoved the thought away as much as he could. He couldn't give up. Stopping, he looked down at his bright red shoes. 

     Give up? 

     What was there even left to give up on?

     Even the number one hero said it. Even his idol since he could understand words had told him he wasn't good enough. 

     Midoriya moved closer to sit at the edge. He wasn't going to do it, no. Even if he'd thought about it, there were citizens below. Children. He'd never do that with them in the way, it'd be selfish.

     His mind flashed to an image of his mother, Inko Midoriya. How upset she'd be. Inko loved her son, so much it hurt Midoriya to see her so worried whenever he'd come home hurt. Midoriya sat and let his legs dangle over the edge.

     He sat for a minute, watching the sidewalks bustle with people, most of them moving to get home, probably. 

     BOOM!

     Midoriya flinched out of habit, eyes automatically shooting in the direction of the noise. It was maybe a few streets away, far enough for the buildings to block his eyes from whatever was happening. Perking up, he rushed to his feet.

     "A villain, I wonder which hero will show," He muttered, dashing for the door. As his hand landed on the door handle, he noticed himself hesitate, "If I'm never going to become a hero, why even show up?" Izuku whispered to himself as he paused in front of the door.

     Shaking his head, he reasoned with himself, "No- I'm just going to see what's happening. No notes, just to watch," He said, more confident now as he finally turned the handle and ran down the flights of stairs.

{561}
{Edited}