Chapter Seventeen - The Monster Within The Walls

That night, I sat in my dorm, book in one hand, wand in the other. It was well past lights out and the small stream of moonlight that normally lit up my bed, was nowhere to be seen tonight.

My wand was lit, shining down on the page I was currently reading. I'd gotten so wrapped up in the chapter I'd been reading, I hadn't noticed the time.

I snuck a glance at the clock on the wall. It was a little past one in the morning. "Bloody hell. Nox." The light from my wand went out swiftly and I placed my book on my bedside table.

I snuggled deep under my covers, doing my best to fall asleep as quickly as possible. A light knock sounded from the door.

Seeing as it was one in the morning, I paid no attention to the knock. Until it came again.

I slowly rose from my bed and cautiously made my way to the door. It creaked as I opened it, holding it slightly open. I didn't expect to see George waiting on the other side of the door.

He stood there, smiling. His red hair fell messily in front of his face, the way I imagine he'd look after just waking up. A pair of pajama pants were baggily hanging off his hips and he wore a worn Kenmare Kestrels t-shirt, of which I'd learned was an Irish Quidditch Team. His favorite, in fact.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" George questioned, then laughed at himself. "Oh, well that was sort of the point really, wasn't it?"

"George?" I wondered aloud. I had many questions for George. How was he in the Hufflepuff dorms, why was he awake, what did he need. But I had no time to ask those questions, because he swiftly pushed the door open wider, grabbed my wrist and pulled me out into the hallway.

"I have plans for a prank, but I need help to set it up. Fred's asleep and he's rather grumpy when he wakes. So I thought you may be willing to help me." My heart fluttered at George's words. A heat crept across my face and my hands had the instinct to fly to my face. I did my best to hide my excitement with annoyance.

"What? You woke me up at one in the morning for that?" I asked. I would not be telling George about how he had not, in fact, woken me up.

He let go of my wrist and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Right, sorry." He turned to leave. "I'll just go, I probably didn't need the help anyway. I'll be going now."

"George, wait." I said. He stopped and turned back towards me.

"Yes?"

"Well, I can't have you wandering the halls all by yourself, now can I?" I said, breaking into a smile. "Someone's gotta keep you outta trouble."

A grin spread across George's face. "There we are. That's my girl."

That's my girl.

His words seared into my mind. His girl. Excitement and serotonin seemed to flow through my veins at the very thought of being George's girl. His girl. He thought of me as his girl?

Oh, don't be silly. I thought. He probably didn't mean anything by it, just a friendly sort of thing. I halted my hopelessly romantic thoughts and broke the silence that had begun to form between us.

"Just one moment. Let me grab my wand." He nodded. I slipped back into the dorm and grabbed my wand off my bedside table.

If my parents could see me now, sneaking off with a boy. I don't know if they'd be furious or proud. A mixture of both, I told myself.

I snuck back into the hallway, seeing George twiddle his wand. Even seeing him do such a simple thing like that sent butterflies to my stomach.

"Ready to go?" He asked, stopping his fiddling.