032 | THERE'S A CHILD PRESENT, NISHINOYA

long may she reign

THE AWARD CEREMONY was quite a blur to Mizuki

THE AWARD CEREMONY was quite a blur to Mizuki. She recalled vividly that the boys received their awards, the entirety of their cheering section coming down to congratulate them. The lavenderette was so proud and so thrilled. All their hard work had paid off, those nights of restless sleep, afternoons of coming up with new strategies, mornings of training all of it paid off, and Karasuno's Boys Volleyball team was going to Nationals.

Karasuno was the representative for Miyagi. They were going to Tokyo.

Mizuki scanned the crowd.

And saw a familiar face.

Actually, she saw five.

Her aunt Akira was cheering and clapping wildly, hazel orbs glossed over with tears. Beside her, she saw her soulmates. Akaashi was smiling, he caught Mizuki's eye and waved. Bokuto was jumping up and down, shouting congratulations to the boys, mainly to his disciple. She could see how Kageyama nudged Hinata, the ginger-haired boy waving back frantically, though his cheeks flushed from the compliments. Beside Bokuto was Kuroo, who seemed to be trying to get Tsukishima's attention. From the proud and somewhat challenging expression on his face, Mizuki thought it was best not to alert Tsukishima to the other boy's presence. Kenma had his head ducked down, not actually looking at anyone, but Mizuki thought she saw a ghost of a smile when his dyed blond hair parted just slightly.

Her lips quirked upwards before she returned her attention back to the boys, all of them coming to stand before the four. "Good job, you guys!" Takeda cried, his arms extended and tears streaming down his face animatedly. "I'm...I'm...sho happwy!"

Mizuki watched as Coach Ukai suddenly sprang forward, hands landing on Daichi's shoulders. "Sawamura! Great job completing that three-man block in the end."

Daichi's lips twisted into a smile. "Well, I made a promise."

Coach smiled at Daichi fondly, but then his head snapped to the side. "Tsukishima!" the man bellowed, gaze landing on the blonde. He ran forward, slamming his hands on his shoulders much to the amusement of others. "No matter what anyone says," Ukai told him seriously, "you're the MVP today."

"I'm always the MVP," Tanaka said happily, cutting into the conversation, "so I'll let you have that title just for today, Tsukishima."

"You're definitely the mental MVP."

Mizuki turned her head as they left and saw Hinata had wandered over toward the scoreboard, his soulmate frowning and following after him. It truly was a close match. They had barely managed to pull away enough to score the winning point.

"Hinata Shoyo and Kageyama Tobio of the concrete..." The first-year duo's shoulders stiffened. They knew that voice. They turned instantly, facing the third year. "I'll defeat you next time."