033 | pancakes hit different with loved ones

she walks in, and his heart beats different

WARM. SHE FELT WARM. Upon waking, Mizuki burrowed herself into the boy wrapped in her embrace, nose buried in the dyed locks, inhaling his faint scent of apples. A smile curled along her lips, her other arm reaching behind her.

Oh?

Mizuki glanced over her shoulder, brows furrowing at the unoccupied space. Unwrapping her arms from around Kenma, Mizuki set off to find her youngest soulmate, spotting her bedroom door open. She tiptoed down the stairs, mindful of the sleeping boys.

Spotting Akaashi sitting on the porch facing the back garden, Mizuki slid the door open, making her way over. "Keiji," she called, startling the youngest. Mizuki noticed how he rose his hands to his face, wiping under his eyes. She never said anything, just sat beside him, pressing her shoulder beside his, extending her company as comfort.

Akaashi was grateful. Despite the heaviness in his stomach, it fluttered at the feeling of his body pressed against hers. He sunk into the warmth of her side, appreciative of the simple gesture. Her touch made the air warmer somehow, their future together seeming a little less bleak.

The lingering light of the night was obliterated by the rapidly falling twilight. The once salmon and purple sky moulded into a vast expanse of jet-black engulfing the town. A canopy of luminous stars materialised amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, whilst an adequate amount of shimmering stars illuminated the dark, moon-filled night. The pond in her garden glistened, mirroring the dazzling assemblage of glittering stars and the artificial fluorescence from the government-owned street lamps. A faint wind brushed against the water's surface, ripples ruffling the stillness of the surface and shattering the reflection of the heavens.

"Is it a sin to find beauty in the darkness?"

Akaashi stilled, turning to his soulmate in confusion. Mizuki stared up at the dark night, illuminated by a soft, mellow moonlight caressing her skin with nothing but love. Her head laid on his shoulder, chest rising and falling calmly.

"To watch as the night sky comes alive? To listen as the trees whisper centuries-old secrets? To find solace as shadows dance the same dance they have for eons?"

She, who had galaxies in her eyes, a universe in her mind, took Akaashi's breath away. Mizuki looked liked she walked in moondust, stars sprinkling in her hair. Magic tumbled from her pretty lips as she spoke the language of the universethe stars sighed in union.

"Powerful things lurk in the darkness, and it is a sin to forget them."

Realising she was being a bit melodramatic, carried away on her thoughts, Mizuki turned to apologise

"You're beautiful," exhaled Akaashi.

Mizuki rose her head and tilted it to the side, lilac eyes drifting to meet his gunmetal blue ones. "On the contrary, my dear." She rose her hand to his face, tenderly cupping his cheek. "I think you're absolutely phenomenal."