Chapter 59

"Lucas" I slowly whispered to my two year old son who was sitting on my lap biting the buttons of my shirt.

I was in a meeting at the office and Lucas didn't like anyone in the room. So he kept his face hidden inside my coat.

He was an asocial child and was extremely uncomfortable around anyone other than Marcus and I.

We sometimes blame ourselves for his behaviour because after that terrifying incident we became overprotective parents. Specially Marcus.

But little did we know our actions would lead him to showing an allergic reaction to rest of the world. We thought this would pass with time but it only kept getting worse.

Since Lucas doesn't stay with anyone else, Marcus and I both had been taking him to office turn by turn. It was sometimes hard but we had to do it.

"That's it" Anne came to the end of the presentation and looked at me.

"Okay everyone send these files to the Marketing department. You are dismissed" Everyone gave me a small nod and walked out the door.

I look down to see my son who was still biting my buttons. I leaned down and kissed his head. "Baby they are gone now"

He slowly raised his head and looked at me. "Look around" He turned his head and scanned the entire room.

"We have to go to my friend's house today. You promised you would be a good boy. Remember?" He stared me and then hesitantly nodded his head.

He spoke very little words and smiled very rarely. I almost never heard him laugh and there were countless days I cried myself to sleep thinking about it, so did Marcus.

Today Harrington's had prepared a meeting in their house to discuss about this year's contest with the hotel owners and the participant companies.

Taylor said many were invited and would be coming along with their children. So I thought it would be a good chance for Lucas to meet others as he wasn't uncomfortable around children.

I had planned to take him to a therapist next week but Marcus hates it. He made me promise if Lucas at least plays or talks with another child today I would not take him.

I didn't want to take him either but I want what's best for him. Lucas was an heir to both of our companies and would also inherit the Empire group after Marcus. So the media had been circling around him, trying to find faults as much as possible.

They already knew he's a quiet child but they speculate fake news as Lucas is a mute or he has autism.

I would ignore them if I could but these news would someday hurt Lucas when he starts schooling and when he inherits the business.

But the main reason that convinced me to take him to a therapist was that he doesn't let out his emotions like a normal 2 year old would. He even tries to hold his pain and sobs quietly so we won't see it.

I checked the time and took Lucas into my arms. I sat him on my hips and took my bag before walking out the door. As we walked past my staff Lucas buried his face in my neck, hiding from everyone else.

I heaved a long sigh and ran my fingers through his hair, reassuring him.

As we reached the lobby Marcus was waiting outside, leaning on his car.

"Daddy is here"

Lucas slowly leaned back and looked at Marcus who was beaming at him.

Marcus took him to his arms and kissed his forehead. "How's your day?"