Chapter One Hundred & Sixty-Four | Fifth World

[ 164 ]

Emilio was proven correct as time went on. They had won the battle, yet not the war.

The fundamental sticking-point was the confirmation of proof that Radical Innovation's nanotechnology was viable in a setting where the most vulnerable were located. Which is why the medical board of directors who represented the private hospitals acted upon their— contractually obliged— promises and established the technology.

The CEO and major engineer of said technology was with them every step of the way, ensuring that it was a practically seamless transition from archaic methods to futuristic ones. In doing so, it was only natural that those whose job it was to keep an eye out for potential stories, would snap some pictures and publish them all over the place.

Drastically different technology was always going to elicit various responses from the general public. While most were in complete amazement, there would always be those who would slam it before they even read the article. It was hard to ignore, given that everything Emilio had been working towards would sink or swim depending on the trust in his company.

Which is exactly when Fahren flexed his fingers when it came to his new job title. Using social media pages he had long since abandoned to share his own story. Including the detailed scans of his body post-accident and pre-treatment.

Naturally there were trollers. But seeing their desperate attempts to rile him up only proved to amuse him further. He had already lived a full life in the eyes of the media, where horrific things had been posted relating to the fact that he was an Omega in a high-power position, and married to a man who appeared more than happy to submit.

But no matter how much they barked, they were ignored. Only one or two of them became frequent, and only one or two of them received knocks on their doors when a reverse IP scan was conducted. Fahren could handle it.

One of the only major benefits of having a busy schedule meant that Fahren's family were also suffering as well. It kept them preoccupied and sated by the knowledge that Fahren was spending more nights away from home in order to deal with all things relating to Radical Innovations. Now that he had become something alike their head of PR.

Which was gleefully embraced by the team of engineers behind the scenes, who had been landed with the responsibility multiple times in the past. Only recently had they completely shirked off the duty and returned the pressure back onto their boss; who ultimately had the pretty face to deal with any bad press.

In light of everything he had experienced, Fahren oftentimes felt conflicted on which path to take. But as soon as Emilio offered the position, he didn't even hesitate. He had handled near-death experiences more times than he could count, so dealing with a smear campaign was a breeze.

It did keep him busy. Which extended to his current position as he comfortably lay on the plush sofa in Emilio's newly-rented apartment, situated in the business-nook part of the city. It was convenient for the both of them, given the recent demands for their presence in meetings.

He lay on his front, scrolling and taking notes on emails he needed to get back to and those he needed to query Emilio about. It consumed his attention until the familiar footsteps sounded down the hallway, growing closer to where Fahren lay in the open-planned living space.

Since it would only be for a short time, both men were reluctant to waste money on an overpriced location. So the apartment wasn't filled to the brim with the modern technology that Emilio spent his free-time engineering. It was refreshing, and in some strange way a lot like his once-shabby home back in his first life.