Chapter Fifty-Eight: What Bambi Eyes?

“You don’t have to do this,” Bennett told me. “I mean, Snow White hanged out with guys and she didn’t have to turn into a dwarf.”

“Y’know, you just called us dwarves. You just called yourself a dwarf.”

I snorted.

“What is it?”

“Oh, I was just imagining Raymond as the Evil Queen.”

“It’ll be pretty easy,” Jordan said. “He probably spends most of his day checking himself out in the mirror.”

“Like you?” Bennett asked.

“Hey! This “out of the bed” hair takes a while to make.”

“Do you know what takes less time?” Declan asked. “Actual “out of the bed” hair. I would know.”

He looked at them for agreement, but the other guys didn’t. He then looked at me, and I merely just looked away and started to whistle.

“Fine then,” he huffed.

Right after they told me they’ll make me an official musketeer, Jordan left to his room for an hour. Bennett played a video game with the five-screen computer, which looked really awesome. Declan decided to take a nap and was quietly snoring beside me as the video game droned out his snores. I wanted him to sleep in his bed, but he refused wanting to miss this.

But miss what?

All in one day, I just saw what happens if you’ve been shot thanks to Declan and learned more about the guys gang wise than I thought I ever could. Most people would call the cops, others would call the ambulance, and most of them would just get up and walk away, cut all strings with them. But I didn’t, and I don’t know why. The guys could’ve just walked away once they saw how much of a hopeless cause I was, maybe even am. But they didn’t either, and I’ grateful for that.

I remembered back in my early bullied years when I was desperate to have a friend, better yet, friends. And the thing was, they knew how desperate I was. They told me in order for me to be their friend, I had to do a number of stupid, embarrassing, and even disgusting tasks for them. As I did those things that I’m not proud of or don’t even want to repeat, all they did was laugh and even made a video to capture the moment so they can replay it over and over again.

The sad thing was I didn’t become their friend. I should have expected that they were just leading me on, playing with my want for friends. But the desperation for just one person to know my name, acknowledge my existence, smile at the sight of me, and happy that I’m here, was stronger than my brain telling me that the thought was stupid and impossible.

Yet here I am, supposedly having to face through this whole ceremony to be a musketeer. To me, it sounds pretty stupid, but at the same time, it sounds fun, everything’s fun when I’m with them. At first I thought it’ll be like before, having to go through a bunch of things just to be friends. But it’s not like that with them. For one, we’re already friends, this just makes us more than friends like…really good friends, best friends, siblings? I don’t know about that, but I do know:

One for all and all for one.

Unlike those people who made me do those things to not be friends with them, it’s supposed to be a ceremony of being more than friends with the guys. I don’t know if anyone would have to go through such extremes to be better friends with them, but then again, I did sign a contract with them. But all in all, I’m happy that could be a part of this.

And c’mon, who wouldn’t want to be called a musketeer?

Jordan came back after the hour was up and Bennett asked me the day old question: