Arc 3: Chapter 55

Hearing her bluntly telling him she didn't see him that way, it was almost laughable. Alec looked at those honey coloured eyes that stared back at him. Although it reflected him, he suddenly felt dissatisfied by that. They looked at him with no feelings.

"Haa.." he let out a soft sigh before backing away from her.

So he still didn't have a spot in her heart after so long. He adjusted his coat before picking up the letter he had dropped before this.

"I'll send a letter back to Lady Isabella about declining the invitation."

Elenor nodded. Alec pursed his lips together, "Then I shall do that right away. Please excuse me." he said, bowed and took his leave, closing the door softly behind him.

He took in a deep breath and stared at nothing. Was it really worth it? Was it worth his time trying to pursue her? He knew how he said he wouldn't give up but he couldn't help and begin to overthink. Overthink about every little thing. Overthink about how no matter what he does, perhaps she will never come to like him.

He had no spot in her heart. To her, he was only someone she could trust- a friend. He wanted something more but if she doesn't even have a spot for him in her heart, how can that be possible? He's chasing for something that he could never reach.

After some time, he returned back to his work mode though his mind kept questioning everything he had been doing to chase after Elenor. 

Maybe he should just keep her somewhere he only knows so she would only see him and nobody else. He would be in her eyes forever then. 

Yes, maybe he will take her away, confine her, keep her locked up and take care of her everyday with love until she loves him. He'll chain her to him so she won't be able to leave his side.

She'll definitely love him back.

His pupils were dilated before snapping out of his thoughts and immediately pushed the thought away. A crease between his eyebrows formed as he shook his head.

No. If he ever did that, the light in her eyes would disappear and her smile would never come back. If he followed that train of thought, he would destroy Elenor to a point of no return.

He didn't want that. He wanted to see her smile and hear her laugh. If he wanted her to be happy, he mustn't ever follow that thought. 

'A while longer'  he promised to himself.

If nothing truly works, maybe he will give up on this fruitless love. Thinking like this, his heart throbbed painfully.

-

When Alec left the room, Elenor heaved out a sigh. It was hard for her to keep a strong front. Pretending as if she felt nothing when he got close to her, his breath tickling her skin. Thankfully he didn't hear nor feel how fast her heartbeat was.

Her gaze lingered at the door. She felt bad for saying those words. When she acted indifferent to his tactics, she nearly broke out of her act when she saw the subtle look he had in his eyes...

Quickly she shook her head trying to forget how his eyes held sadness for a split second. She shouldn't think about it. She was the one who did this although she didn't want to. Another sigh fell out of her lips. It was for the best but..

Elenor's eyes flickered. Was it truly for the best?

She knew these emotions so easily. The fast heartbeat, sweaty palms, red ears and cheeks. She knew all of these well. It was obvious.

She liked Alec.

Albeit, she does like him, she wasn't going to try pursuing it. It was only a small simple crush- a puppy love that will easily go away. Yes, she nodded to herself. This will go away. Just like how Alec's will as well.