fourteen; godspeed

i'm not sure if this chapter needs it, but i don't want to not put one and it trigger someone. so TW! discussion of domestic violence.

Maya George had often been referred to as a lost cause by people around her

Maya George had often been referred to as a lost cause by people around her. They thought that she couldn't do math, or Spanish, or chemistry, or biology, or business, or food tech. They were right of course, Maya wasn't the most the best at math and chemistry and biology and business and food tech. But she could write great stories in english, draw amazing pictures in art, take the best pictures in photography and design the prettiest magazine covers in media.

However, it never mattered what she could do, the only things people focused on was the stuff she couldn't do.

There were only two people in Maya's life that never judged her based on how she performed in school: Delilah and Isaac Lawton.

Isaac had been Maya's on/off boyfriend for the past two years. At first Maya was very reluctant to speak to him, she was really only comfortable around her sister, but everywhere she went Isaac kept appearing. Until one day she finally crumbled and started talking to him.

They bonded over their love for Metallica and Kiss, bands that Delilah refused to listen to. They learnt they both shared a passion for Mexican food (Delilah claimed she also shared that passion, but she was more of an Italian girl). They also both enjoyed black and white movies, something that Maya could never watch with Delilah as she found them boring.

At first Isaac and Maya were just friends. The girl was too scared of what her parents would say to take it any further with Isaac. She was afraid that Nia and Tommy would tell her to stop seeing Isaac because everyone knew he was trouble. But after a while, Maya couldn't stay away.

She couldn't resist the charm of Isaac Lawton and ended up falling under his spell. It was impossible for her to stay away.

Although looking back, Maya wished more than anything she did stay away.

It was the night of Delilah's breakdown in the school toilets when she got a phone call. It was around two in the morning and the girl was half asleep. Normally she would have ignored it and gone back to sleep. Which is what she did the first time, until her phone carried on ringing.

Once Delilah had picked her phone up off the side table, she was surprised to see three missed calls from Maya, each time she had left a voicemail. While the two were being civil, they weren't friendly enough to ring each other. Especially not at two in the morning.

Panic set into Delilah almost immediately, something had to be wrong with her sister. As soon as she pressed on the first voicemail all past traces of sleep vanished from her body, she was now wide awake.

"Hey Lilah," Maya's voice was slurred, Delilah wasn't sure if she had been crying or drunk, "It's Maya.....I know we aren't on good terms but......I miss you. A lot.....I'm at Isaac's right now.....I don't want you to worry but-"