Season 4: Episode 19

| July 17th | Wednesday Afternoon |

~ Megan's POV ~

Today was the day we had been waiting for since meeting with Ava. We had been fully approved and vetted, and today was the day Ava would officially become our daughter. It felt surreal, but I remained excited and optimistic. After seeing her for the first time in months over a week ago, all the nerves had basically vanished. I just wanted her here now.

I walk over to Sam, who's in the kitchen, and wrap my arms around her waist. She relaxes into me and I kiss the back of her neck lovingly.

"You know, I keep expecting to wake up because these past few months have just been dream-like," I confess.

She turns to face me while leaning back on the counter. A teasing smirk plays on her lips as she tilts her head.

"Do you need me to pinch you?"

I laugh. "No..."

She reaches out and grabs my hips to pull me into her. My heart leaps at our lips making contact, and I fall into her in complete bliss. I'm still unsure if this is real life or not, but I enjoy it all regardless. After a few minutes, I pull away when I realize we're getting carried away.

"They should be here any minute," I remind.

"I know." Sam kisses my neck. "I just like getting you all worked up."

"Oh yeah?"

Our faces are close.

"Yeah," she whispers.

I feel the blood rush to my face, and I can no longer suppress my grin. After all this time, and everything we've been through, Sam still managed to get to me. I love it, and I hope it remains this way forever. I'm convinced it would in this very moment.

Then there's a light knocking on the door and my stomach clenches. Sam's grip on me tightens only slightly before she lets me go. I look at her and see the excitement and nervousness on her face. We both walk over to the door and she gives me a reassuring look before opening it.

There she stands next to Amy, with a few bags at her feet. Her eyes light up immediately when they lock with mine and my heart nearly bursts with emotion. Since meeting her, I haven't seen her this happy, and just that thought alone threatens to form tears. I hold out my hand for Ava to take.

"Hi Ava," I say as she takes my hand.

"Hi," she says excitedly.

I lead Ava into our home and Sam quickly retrieves the rest of her bags with Amy, who seems just as excited as the rest of us. Once they're inside, Amy takes a deep breath and goes over the technicalities of today. We receive all of Ava's important documents while she plays with Charlie as a distraction. Once everything is all said and done, Amy stands and looks at Ava with a hopeful expression.

"So, Ava," she starts. "Are you happy that this is gonna be your forever home?"

Ava hugs Charlie to her chest and gives a nod. I watch Sam smile to herself from the couch where she observes them, and I find myself full of love and admiration at the sight.

"Well, come and give me a hug," Amy suggests. "You know you're gonna miss me."

Ava stands and hugs Amy tightly, which is a sight I didn't think would make me emotional but does. Amy seems to be having a moment herself but doesn't let it overcome her. She gives me and Sam one last look before disappearing out our front door, and then it's just the three of us.

I watch Ava turn away from the front door and look at me, then at Sam. She seems to have something to say but hesitates to say it. We give her a moment to take in her new environment before breaking the silence. Just seeing the look on her small curious face makes me want to hug her and shower her in affection for hours, but I know that time isn't now. We were still strangers to her, after all. I may have been her teacher at one point, but she had to come to terms with the fact that were her primary caregivers now.