17│THE PINK FLAMINGO KID

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

❛ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ ᴇʏᴇꜱ​​​​​​​​​​. ❜ ° . ༄
- ͙۪۪˚   ▎❛ 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 ❜   ▎˚ ͙۪۪̥◌
»»————- ꒰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘɪɴᴋ ғʟᴀᴍɪɴɢᴏ ᴋɪᴅ ꒱

❝ YOU GUYS ARE MY FAMILY ❞

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Cory had taken an interest in reporting which was something that surprised Juliet in a good way. He'd never had an interest in much so she was glad that something had caught his attention. He was a little too into it, though, since he carried the camera everywhere (including to Mr. Turner's apartment.)

Their teacher gave them a confused look when he opened the door. "Capelwood, Matthews. What's with the camera?"

"Well, Mr. Williams says a good newsman's always gotta have his camera ready. You don't mind if I keep on shooting, do you?" Cory asked.

"No, go ahead."

"Alright," the boy said, only to have the door closed in their faces.

"Hey!" Juliet exclaimed, "I don't have a camera!"

"Turn that thing off and I'll let you back in."

The redhead gave her best friend a look. "Turn it off, Cor."

"Oh, come on. What are you hiding?" he complained, though he complied.

"My disdain for you," Mr. Turner answered, allowing them in.

"You're not hiding that very well," Juliet remarked, earning a look from her teacher.

"Shawn!" Cory exclaimed as the boy came downstairs. "Shawn!"

"On the phone, Cor. Hey, Julie," Shawn answered, "so, dad, how are you gonna celebrate your birthday? Oh, that's great," he lowered the phone. "He's going to the dog track with President Clinton." He turned back to his father, "so, are you coming home soon?" There was a pause. "Yeah, yeah, I understand. Oh. Well, I really miss you."

"Where's Shawn's dad calling from?" Cory asked.

"He said aboard the Air Force One but I kinda have my doubts. I heard people yelling in Spanish," Mr. Turner answered.

Shawn continued to talk to his dad: "well, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. . . What? Oh, you gotta go? Oh, the president needs the phone." He turned to them and explained, "Yeltsin's on call waiting," before he said goodbye. He sighed after he hung up the phone. "I didn't even get a chance to sing him Happy Birthday."

The redhead joined him on the couch and leaned her head against his shoulder. "You miss him, huh, Shawnie?"

"Yeah," the boy admitted softly to her before he added in a louder tone: "family's really important to the Hunters. You know, my dad always said 'where there's family, there's a place to hide.'"

"Did he say when he's coming back?" Cory asked.

"No, but he did say he can't wait to see me. I bet it'd make him really happy to see how well I'm doing."

"Hey, well, he can," Mr. Turner said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, Matthews has his video camera. You could put yourself on tape."

"Yeah. Shawn, you know, we could go down to your old trailer park and get all your relatives on tape. I'll shoot it," Cory offered.

"That's actually a really good idea," Juliet agreed. Maybe the camera came with extra braincells that made Cory smarter.