Loss and All It's Friends

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓Nerezza Lupin-Black ┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛"We gather here, we line up weeping in a sunlit room

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓
Nerezza Lupin-Black
┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛
"We gather here, we line up weeping in a sunlit room.
And, if I'm on fire, you'll be made of
Ashes too"

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

The Great Hall wasn't as bright as it usually was.

Everything was grey, lifeless it seemed. There was a draft, whipping through the room whereas it'd usually be warmed by fires and candles lit, creating a glow around the room. Everyone was in the hall looking solemn and saddened-some were crying and some were simply looking ahead at Dumbledore.

He had his hands clasped together in front of him. I stood in between the twins, locking eyes with Remus who stood a little ways off the side of Dumbledore-he offered me a comforting smile.

I slipped my hand into Fred's with a deep breath. He glanced down at me before planting a soft kiss on my hair, he'd been so patient with my recovery. As soon as I could muster the strength to walk, I'd left the hospital wing. Images of Cedric's death continued to flash through my mind...making their appearances in my dreams too.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded. And most importantly a fierce fierce friend. I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died." Dumbledore began.

He paced forward with a grave expression.

I felt my lip trembling as my body begged to let itself cry but I couldn't. I didn't want anyone to see my grieving for Cedric because he was special to me. We weren't close like Hermione, Ron and I...or in love like Fred and I, or best friends like George and I, or brother and sister like Harry and I. However, he had shown me a kindness that I'd so rarely seen.

He treated my powers as if they were a gift. He'd looked after me as if I was something special and for that I'd forever be grateful. I wondered if he hated me for not being able to stop his death in time...

"You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

Dumbledore's speech was touching and lovely. But I was angry. Cedric wasn't just a memory, he was a person. He should've been stood here right now instead of me, why did I get to live and he didn't?