4 || Cost Sensitive

For a week, Midoriya pondered the idea of vigilantism on and off. He went on so many jogs trying to force the thought to the back of his mind that he'd gotten more of a workout than he'd ever before. He'd also been occupied with avoiding Bakugou at all costs. He hadn't hurt him yet, but Midoriya could tell from his glare that one wrong move would land him in a hospital.

     Still, despite that, the thought stuck to him like glitter sticks on everything. The what-ifs and maybes were encircling his every thought. He would have to confront it if he wanted to think of anything else.

     So, one day, Midoriya sat down at his (regrettably still) All-Might-themed desk and pulled out a slip of paper.

     Separating it into two columns of pros and cons, Midoriya began to write everything that came to mind. 

     Maybe seven minutes later, he pulled back and stared at the lists.

PROS:
-no requirements for vigilantism
-hero without the label
-no law restrictions to obey
-actual identity kept secret
-not nearly as many eyes on you as there are for heroes

CONS:
-gear costs money
-hunted by law and villains
-no payment

     Midoriya gaped at the paper. Why were there so few cons in comparison to the pros? He'd thought if he wrote out the cons it'd be longer than the pros and he'd be able to convince himself to stray from vigilantism.

     Now, as Izuku realized, if he wanted to be a hero and save people, this may be his only chance.

     Any possible smile that may have formed was stopped by his realization; where would he get the gear and with what money?

     Letting out an exhausted sigh, Midoriya ran a hand over his face and groaned. Opening his eyes, he was faced immediately with an expensive All Might action figure.

     Expensive.

     That was it! Midoriya jumped up and glanced quickly at all of the All Might memorabilia that surrounded him, all of which would possibly cost more now. A multitude of them were limited editions from years ago.

     He let himself grin wickedly and rushed out to find an empty box.

     Was this vigilante idea on a whim? Absolutely.

     Was he going to regret this later? Probably.

     Was he going to stop?

     Are you kidding? Of course not, if he had to stare at an All-Might-themed room for five more seconds, he was going to go mad and punch a hole in his wall. Don't get him wrong, he still respected the hero, of course, he did, but All Might had kind of shattered his entire reality in five seconds. Midoriya didn't feel much sympathy.

     Insane. Absolutely insane.

     That was the amount of money he got from the bidding war that occurred online over his All Might collection. If he rounded up, it came up to 2,000,000 yen. For reference, that's nearly 20,000 U.S. dollars.

     If Midoriya hadn't been in the same situation once, he'd question the buyer's sanity. Although, it had been a middle-aged man.

     Whatever, if it made him happy.

     He'd been handed the money in cash and now it was burning a hole in his pocket. He'd already told his mom he was selling it.

     She asked him why because, as far as she knew, he was obsessed with All Might. He made up some excuses about 'growing out of it' and 'wanting to do something other than hero work'.

     While she was cautious and worried, she accepted the excuse and didn't question him much further.

     Walking into his now normal, although bare, room, Midoriya pulled out a shoe box and stuffed the money inside, putting the box back under his now plain desk.

     Of course, now came the even harder part; the outfit.

     What would he even need? Obviously a bulletproof vest, preferably light and thin. 

     A quick Google search showed him that, on average, the vest would cost anywhere around 50,000 yen, which would leave 1,950,000 left for everything else. It sounded like he still had a lot to work with, but if you take into consideration possible replacements and the fact he still needed everything else and weapons, it sounded less impressive.

     And so, Midoriya got to work figuring out a budget.

{730}
{Edited}