2.

Giselle Youngblood, 21
(3 years later) Present

"How do you feel?" My mama asked as she pulled up to the airport's drop off.

"I really don't know." I admitted nervously, looking down at my hands.

It'd been a long three years, moving from state to state each month with her and my father for their jobs. But now that my father had passed away so suddenly, my mother didn't know her way and neither did I.

"Listen, baby. I know I shouldn't have ripped you away from our family and your friends back at home."

"But I felt as a mother, I was doing something right." Her voice blacked, making me pout.

"I didn't want my only daughter in that environment anymore and I wanted to get you out of there. I wanted you to travel with your father and I and I wanted to see the world, honey."

"Not be lost in the eyes of the struggle and poverty at such a young age. You didn't deserve that." She began to get choked up and I nodded in understanding.

I understood every word.

Though she'd made me leave all of my friends and loved ones behind to move to a brand new state, I knew it was all in good faith. I was 18 years old and I'd just graduated. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life anyway.

If anything, she saved me and I could do nothing but appreciate her for that.

"I love you, mama." I blurted out as she began to cry.

Pulling her in for a warm hug, she held me just as tight as I held her. I knew after today, my mother would be finding her way and adjusting to working without my father. And honestly, I'd be doing the same, trying to get back to the old me and reconnecting with all the people that I'd seemingly turned my back on.

Especially one person that I'd never lost sight of.

"I love you so much more, honey." She sighed deeply as we continued hugging just a few moments longer.

When we finally let each other go, she looked into my eyes and softly grabbed my hands.

"I want to give you some money before you go, okay?" She went onto say and I nodded as she let my hands go and went into her purse.

"This is for you." She held out a stack of money.

"I know it isn't much but your father and I always knew we would send you back sooner or later and we wanted you to at least be comfortable living with your grandma."

"And hopefully you won't be there too long." She raised an eyebrow at me, referring to the plan we'd set in place.

I'd only love with my grand mom for no more than a year or two, I would then find my own place and began my life as a grown woman.

"No more than two years at grandma's." She went on while I nodded my head.

"Just work at the store and try to make as much money as you can so you can get out of there as soon as possible."

"Lord knows it's easy to get caught up in that mess and end up being there for years." She went on scoffing, referring to herself and I smiled small.

"Thank you, mama."

"For everything." I expressed.

"You're so welcome, baby." She smiled her warm smile.

"Now go before you miss your flight back." She rushed and I nodded, grabbing all of my bags.