CHAPTER 0•14

Skeletons in the Closet

Dawn, Asami, and Bolin were waiting for Korra and Mako to get back from their visit up above the sewer system, checking to see the progress of Amon's destruction. Dawn was giving her and Mako space, not wanting to talk to the boy about what was being said behind her back with her and him possibly being soulmates. Bolin's conclusion left the girl heartbroken as she didn't want what they had to end, and their friendship was now basically just them having small talk. No more dinners, no more hugs, no more anything. Everything just felt empty to her.

She watched as Pabu was doing small acrobatic tricks that Bolin had taught him, her eyes holding dark circles under them as she was a wreck. "You two were gone a while." Asami said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"We were doing reconnaissance." Mako said with a bit of anger, his eyes catching Dawn's hunched over position.

"Whatever." She muttered.

"Welcome back! Hope you worked up an appetite, 'cause dinner is served." The homeless man that Korra met stated.

He pulled everyone over towards the pot that was cooking the soup he had caught and made, Dawn being pulled by Korra who sat her down next to her.

"Thanks so much for letting us hide out with you the past few days." Korra told the man.

"Honored to oblige. My associates and I hardly oppose Amon's so-called "equalist" policies. We got benders and non-Benders living together down here. But do you see us fighting? No, sir-ree. We've figured out how to harmoniously co-exist." He said while hugging himself.

"You are a wise and noble hobo." Bolin said, taking a bite of his soup and smiling. "Mmm. This is the best tasting Street gruel I've ever had. Seriously." Bolin complimented as Korra was trying to force feed Dawn who just stared at her bowl.

"I culled it from the finest dumpsters the city has to offer." The man said happily while Asami took a bite and gagged as she spit it back out.

As night rose, Dawn was sitting out on her sleeping bag, watching as Mako walked by her. "Can't sleep either?" He asked and the girl shook her head.

"No, I just..." she paused while looking to everyone in the group who was sleeping. She sighed and got up, nodding her head for Mako to follow as he did so. 

The girl pulled him along to a secluded area and she sighed. "I feel empty. Like there is no hope left, and now I know that my brother is being dragged into this and I'm just... scared." She admitted, watching as Mako sighed and pulled her in for a hug.

She stayed in his chest, trying hard to fight her tears. "I'm also upset, because Bolin ended things and making everything awkward, Asami hates me, and Korra, she treats me as if I'm a child." She opened up, not wanting to deal with everything as she also had a big fight coming up.

She pulled away from Mako, and sighed. "Do you think it's true?" She asked, Mako furrowing his eyebrows.

"What do you mean?" He asked, and Dawn rolled her eyes.

"Mako, you know. You told Bolin about seeing me the day I was captured. Do you think we are actually soulmates?" She asked, and Mako felt his heart stop beating as she asked.