Chapter 6

"You like music?"

"Uh, yeah, I guess, why?"

"This always helps me when I am stressed, come on!"

"You quickly play a song on your phone, it is "I wanna be yours" by the Arctic Monkeys. You don't think about the title though. You get up and start dancing, well kind of. You look up towards the sky and start spinning, jumping, and humming. You stop for a second to see Tommy still sitting on the bench recording you. You glare at him and run towards him.

"Come on! Don't be a pussy!"

"I am not a pussy!"

"Then dance!"

He gets up and stands awkwardly from a moment, but walks towards you anyway. He starts to mimic your motions awkwardly, and you laugh.

"What? You were the one that asked me to come over here!"

He starts to turn around, as though he is walking back to the bench. You gently tug on his arm.

"I am sorry for laughing. Please."

"Fine, but if you ever tell anyone-"

"I won't, I promise."

You hold out your pinky and he does the same. The two fingers link, signifying that the promise is sealed. You begin to dance again and look up at the sky. You feel a drop of water land on your nose. It was starting to rain. You usually hated the rain, but it was refreshing at the moment. One after another, more drops land on your face. You look at Tommy, who is staring at you. He looks away once you catch his eyes, though.

"Are you okay, Tommy?"

"Yeah, are you sure you're okay staying out here? I don't want you to feel sickly tomorrow."

"Just a few minutes, it feels nice."

"Okay, but aren't you cold?"

"A little bit, but it feels really nice. Co\me here."

Oh god what were you doing. Friends dance together all the time right? You hold both of his hands. You move them back and forth and start jumping again, enjoying this rare feeling. You felt free, truly free.Tommy laughs, but follows your motions. You look up at him and smile, he smiles too. As the song ends, you hug him. Not in a weird way, it was more of a thank you hug. At first he is stiff and frozen, but it doesn't take long for him to come around. He wraps his arms around you tightly and rests his head on top of yours. You heard his heartbeat through his sweatshirt. You let go.

"Thank you Tommy. I know we just met, but you seem really cool. Thank you so much!"

"No problem, Y/N. I am glad I met you too. You aren't too bad yourself."

He winks at you and you playfully shove him.

"Wanna head back?"

"Yeah, I better get some rest for tomorrow."

"So should I. I have a long stream tomorrow."

"I've been meaning to ask you! Once my wi-fi gets installed, could you help me set up my PC? I really like how yours looks!"

"Totally! And, thank you! I've always been really interested in audio and film, so it will actually be fun!"

A brief pause occurs before you break the silence.

"Can I be honest Tommy?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I've watched your streams before. I just wasn't positive it was you until I saw your streaming stuff."

Tommy goes really red.

"I am really sorry I didn't tell you earlier. I just didn't want you to think I was a crazed fan!"

"No, it's not that. I am just different on stream, and I hate people judging me based on that. I promise I'm not actually a dick!"

"I know! You are a really cool person."

"Okay, promise?"

"Pinky."

You are a few steps away from Tommy's front door when you see Sheryl's car is gone.

"Shit."

"What's wrong?"

"Sheryl is gone, and I hate walking into an empty house. I always think there is a kidnapper."

"Is your step-dad home?"

"Nope."

"Well, my parents said I could be out till midnight, and it is only 10:30. Do you want me to walk in with you? Not in a weird way, but you need to be rested tomorrow, and you can't do that if you are scared."

"Are you sure?"

"Totally! I am also super cold, and my dad keeps it at like 50 in there!"

You walk a few steps past Tommy, embarrassed that he has to do this. He was really sweet. You get your keys out of your jean pocket and put it in the lock. It opens and you both step inside. It smells like the banana bread from earlier. It was warm inside, which was a relief from outside. You try to find the lights, but can't see as it is a new house. Tommy hears you start to breathe heavily and turns his phone on. A dull blue light fills the room. You see the lightswitch near the couch and flick all of them on. The soft yellow light envelops you and Tommy. You slip off your shoes and Tommy does the same. You finally look at him in the light. He is soaked, and so are you. You had forgotten about the rain.

"Oh my god Tommy! You are drenched! Are you cold?"

"I could say the same about you! Have you unpacked any towels yet?"

"Uh yeah, they should be in the closet upstairs. One second."

You quickly go up the stairs and grab 4 of the pale blue towels you had put away earlier. You run back down to Tommy and hand him two of the four.

"I am so sorry. I forgot about the rain. And your sweatshirt, oh my god!"

It was drenched. You felt awful! He trusted you enough to let you borrow it and it is ruined.

"I don't mind! I never wear that one anymore, it is too small. Don't worry about it! Consider it a welcome gift!"

You smile, thankful for his grace. You hang it over a dining room chair to dry.

"Will you come upstairs for a second? It is dark up there and my phone died on the way back."

"Totally! I want to see what kind of streaming stuff you have too!"

He goes first, knowing you were scared. He makes you feel safer, though. He finds the light switch and you both enter your room. You forgot how messy it was since not all of your stuff was out of boxes yet. You get nervous and start apologizing, like always.

"You need to stop apologizing, Y/N! It is okay, you just moved in!"

"You sound like my mom."

You say it quietly. Tommy didn't know, and he wouldn't. He doesn't say anything and leans against the doorframe.

"Well, I better get going! It was nice to meet you, and I will see you tomorrow!"

"I thought you wanted to see my set-up?"

"Don't worry about it tonight, you need to rest! Do you want to walk together tomorrow?"

"Yes please! I'm not sure if I would know the way on my own."

"Okay, see you tomorrow! Goodnight Y/N"

"Goodnight Tommy."

You smile as you see him walk out of your room. You had an amazing time. Even though you were still scared for tomorrow, he calms your nerves. He would be with you almost all day! You hear the door shut downstairs and remember you need to shower. You quickly wash your body and hair and get out. The bathroom smells of your vanilla body wash as you braid your hair. Once done, you head back to your room and get into pajamas. It is just sweatpants and a sports bra, but it was comfortable. You barely lay your head down when you feel yourself drift to sleep.