Chapter 8

You get more nervous as you see the teacher walk in. His name was Mr. Mueller, and according to Tommy, he was a real headass. You hear him call your name to the front of the class. You were terrified. You hated public speaking, it was your biggest fear. Now you had to introduce yourself to a group of judgemental teens you had never met. Not to mention the fact you sounded different to all of them.

"Good morning, class. Today we have a new student! Go ahead and introduce yourself!"

"Uh hi. My name is Avery um-"

You get nervous and try to find Tommy. You lock eyes with him and see him giving you an encouraging nod.

"My name is Avery and I am from America, if you couldn't tell! I am an only child and love video games. That's it I guess!"

You look for approval from your teacher to go back to your seat. He smiles and waves towards your desk. You sit back down. Your heart was pounding and your cheeks were red and you were breathing heavy. It felt like you had just run a marathon. Tommy nudges you,

"Hey, it's over! You did great! Do you need water?"

You nod quietly and he pulls out his water bottle and sets it in front of you. You take a big drink, thankful for the return of moisture. You put the lid back on and whisper a thanks to Tommy. Since there were 2 students at each desk, you and Tommy were sitting pretty close. Occasionally your arms of legs would brush, making you nervous.

Friends.

You found this more of a reminder than a statement, but you were too nervous to think about it. Mr. Mueller passes out a packet to each student. You grab a pencil and begin to take notes as he talks. This was especially easy for you considering you had already taken the class. In this school, you had to take math every year, though, and you wanted to save calculus for next year. The class began working on a few practice problems, which you finished quickly. You looked over to see Tommy scribbling out something he had written. He seemed stressed, and you wanted to help.

"Do you want help?"

Tommy nods and you move a bit closer. You look over his paper and notice he is using the wrong formula.

"Oh, easy fix! You used sine instead of cosecant! Just plug this into your calculator!"

You write the formula down on his paper quickly and watch as he plugs it in. He smiles as he gets the right answer.

"Thanks Y/N! How are you so good at this?"

"Don't tell anyone, but I took this class last year. I just had to take it again because the classes are different here."

"That makes sense! You are still a genius, though!"

"Stop flattering me! I'm going to get a big head!"

You smile at him and he smiles back. He looks back to his paper and works on the rest of the class work. You caught yourself staring at him every once in a while with nothing else to do. He had the brightest blue eyes you had ever seen, and he had fluffy blonde hair with a tinge of orange. He notices you looking and asks,

"Am I doing it wrong?"

"No! You're doing great! Sorry"

"There you go apologizing again."

"Sorry- I mean, not sorry!"

He laughs and gets back to work on the last problem. He finishes the work and lets you know there is still 5 minutes left of class. You spend that time asking about the rest of your classes for the day and deciding what you want for lunch. After a few minutes of deciding between pasta or chicken strips, you hear the bell ring. You grab your bag and wait for Tommy to do the same. Once he does, you leave and head to your next class, film.

"So, how's your first day so far?"

"Not too bad, a bit nerve wracking. You have helped a lot so far though!"

"Good to hear! Let me know if you need anything alright?"

"Totally! When is lunch by the way?"

"After film, about 11:30. You hungry?"

"Yeah, I had breakfast early this morning and I am really working up an appetite with all this stress!"

"Yeah, I get it! I have a bag of crisps if you want them?"

"No, I am fine really! You eat them!"

"If you say so,"

You laugh, and so does he. His laugh was a bit squeaky, but it was cute and contagious. You calm down as you get to your next class. This time, there is a seating chart. You see your name on a desk next to another guy. Based on the name tag, his name is Sam. He looks nice enough, but you wish you could sit by Tommy. You never did well meeting new people. Tommy looks disappointed as he finds his name next to someone named Jacob. You weren't sure if he knew Jacob, but he didn't seem too happy either way. You find your seat and sit your bag down. You watch as the teacher walks in. She was wearing a blue dress and seemed nice enough. You knew the time again would come where you had to stand in front of everyone and introduce yourself.

"Hello everyone! You may have noticed a new student sat by Sam today! Would you mind introducing yourself Y/N? I am Mrs. Mahoney by the way!"

"Um sure. I am Y/N. I'm from New York, in America. I am in 11th grade. That's it I think."

You sit back down and watch as a few of the boys' eyes watch you intently. It made you really uncomfortable. Sam, the guy you sat next to, was one of them. When you were fully sat down, he whispered to you.

"You have a nice ass."

You went silent. Who knew a "compliment" could make you so self-conscious. Your cheeks get red and you look over to see Tommy staring. You quickly look straight forward, afraid he was thinking the same thing. He seemed different, but what if he wasn't? You started to feel your heart rate pick up again, then your breathing. You begin to shake and tears start to form.

A panic attack. On your first day of school. How embarrassing.

To avoid a meltdown in class, you quickly excuse yourself to the bathroom. The teacher must have noticed your blotchy cheeks and watering eyes because she quickly waves you out. Before the door shuts, you turn around to see Tommy looking worried. You can't focus on that right now and you have to go find the bathroom. You eventually find it and lock yourself in a stall. You do a few breathing exercises and just sit for a minute. When you feel ready enough, you walk out and splash your face with water. Although you feel better, the thought of going back to class made you sick. You couldn't be known as the girl who skipped her first day though, so you forced yourself to trek back. As you open the door, everyone seems to be listening intensely to the teacher, except Tommy. He gives you a concerned look, but looks ahead as the teacher calls on him.

"Tommy, what does the term fps refer to in videography?"

"Frames per second, ma'am."

"Correct! Moving on-"

You want to keep listening and you know you should, but you can't. You feel Sam's eyes glued to you. He made you so uncomfortable you thought you might barf then and there. You hold it back, though and check the time. You must've been in the bathroom for longer than you thought since there was only about 20 minutes left of class. You spend it pretending to listen while really only thinking about lunch among other things. One of the other things being what Tommy thinks of you. He must think you're crazy! No one leaves class for an hour to use the restroom, except a crazy person. The thought of his judgment nauseates you once again, so you start thinking about streaming. You assumed it would only be a few more days before you could stream again, which was exciting! You found your thoughts being cut off by the bell.

Finally! Lunch!