Chapter 39

"Shit. You live here?" Freya stares up at the rambling old mansion with her mouth agape. "What the hell kinda rent you pay?"

"I—"

Ambrose and I hadn't actually discussed the subject since the day I'd agreed to move in, and now that we're Mated, it feels weird to think of myself as a tenant.

"I don't pay rent," I say after a pause, "I just live here."

I'll have to find a way to contribute fairly to the household expenses, of course, but as I stand at Freya's side, I realize that I don't 'just live here.' This is my home.

Freya turns to look at me, her dark, lash-fringed eyes wide. Then she grabs me by the shoulders and gives me a rather ungentle shake.

"Noah Hunter. Did you find yourself a sugar daddy?" she squeals.

"What? No! I—"

"But what about your job? You work remote now?" she asks, disregarding my protests.

Dane gives her an almost imperceptible shake of his head, trying to warn her off that line of questioning, but I shoot him a glare. We may have patched things up between us for the moment, but he still hasn't earned the right to be protective of my feelings, and Freya has no idea that she's wandered onto dangerous ground.

She's been traveling a lot, the last six months, and while we'd kept in touch, I hadn't told her much about my relationship with Thom, and nothing at all since everything went to shit.

"No, I'm not working remote," I say. "It's a long story, and I'd rather not tell it twice, if I can help it. Where are you staying, anyway?"

"With Gracie and Chlo'. I went to Juju's first, and he told me where to find you," she adds. "What's up with him, anyway? He's all...I don't know, shiny an' fuck, and he smells like fresh-baked cookies or something. Is it some kinda Fae shit?"

"Something like that," Dane and I answer in unison, and then glance at one another. I suspect that Dane knows that I know more than I've told him, but also knows better than to ask.

"How about we meet at Grace and Chloe's, then," I suggest. "I'll bring Ambrose, if I can manage it."

"Ambrose, is it?" Freya grins dangerously. "I can't wait. In fact, why can't I meet him now? I wanna see inside this place!" She gestures at the house.

I grimace. I'd rather not have Freya's opinion of Ambrose tainted by having met his family first. "We have...houseguests, at the moment," I explain. "That's a whole 'nother story, though."

Freya frowns and bites her glossy bottom lip. "Alright," she says, sizing me up. "We'll save it for later—but then it's storytime, brother," she drawls.

Her grin returns, and I wince. There's no going back now. Once Freya gets her teeth in something, she doesn't let go.

~ ☾ ~

We part for the moment, Freya going with Dane (she'd arrived via rideshare), while I head inside to see if I can find Ambrose. To my relief, there's no immediate sign of our guests, though evidence of their presence is all around.

I find Ambrose in our room, standing in front of the window with his arms crossed, gazing out at the unkempt yard.

"Ambrose?" I call as I enter. He doesn't respond, or even give a sign that he heard me, so I approach from behind and slide my arms around his waist.

Unexpectedly, he startles.

"Ah—Noah, love," he says, turning and seeing me. "I didn't hear you."

"You didn't?" I frown up at him. "I called your name."