Chapter 12- The Serpent's Pass

The gaang and I were taking another break at a pond with a beautiful waterfall.

As everyone was having fun swimming, I was catching up on my Sun Spirit book that I "borrowed" from the library.

I read over the first sentence over and over; The Sun Spirit is one of the most powerful benders other than the Avatar.

I groan in frustration. How am I supposed to be the most powerful bender when I can barley firebend. I mean yeah I know the basics other than that i'm no master. I was literally the only firebender in the North Pole and you can't forget I was surrounded by waterbenders, how in the world was I going to learn firebending. I usually use my martial arts background in my bending.

"Waterbending bomb!" Katara screams jumping off a large cliff into the pond, splashing a huge amount of the water over Sokka and I.

"Sure, 5,000- year old maps from the spirit library. Just splash some water on them." Sokka mutters.

"Yeah, what he said." I say scrunching the water out my hair.

"Sorry." Katara apologizes, bending the water out my book and the map.

"Soul, your hair is so curly." Katara says as we all gathered around in a circle.

"Yeah, it gets like that when it's really wet."

"So did you figure out what route we're gonna take?" Aang asks.

"Okay, we just got out of the desert, so we must be around here. And we need to go to Ba Sing Se, which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the South to the North is this silver of land called the Serpents Pass."

"You're sure that's the best way to go?" Toph asks.

"It's the only way. I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there." Sokka exclaims.

"Shush up about Appa," I whisper. "Can't you at least try to be sensitive?"

We all looked at Aang.

"Soul, it's okay. I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse."

We all stare shocked. "Oh, we'll okay. I'm glad you're doing better."

"Then to Ba Sing Se we go. No more distractions." Sokka says eyeing me up and down.

"I thought you said no more distractions." Katara smirks, elbowing Sokka as he blushes.

"Hello there, fellow refugees!"

"Are you guys headed to Ba Sing Se too?" Aang asks the man and the two ladies with him, one pregnant.

"Sure are. We're trying to get there before my wife Ying, has her baby." The man says rubbing his wife's stomach.

"Great," Katara says. "We can travel through the Serpent's Pass together."

The group gasped. "The Serpent's Pass? Only the truly desperate take that deadly route."

"Deadly route? Great pick, Sokka!" Toph says punching Sokka's arm.

I smack the back of Toph's head. "Be nice." I scold, walking over to Sokka and rubbing his arm.

He smiles down at me. "Well, we are desperate."

"You should come with us to Full Moon Bay. Ferries take refugees across the lake," the husband says. "It's the fastest, way to Ba Sing Se."

Ying cuts in. "And it's hidden so the Fire Nation can't find it."

"Hm, peaceful ferry ride or deadly pass?"