fifteen - dream

a soft glow warms the room, casting shadows in every corner. i sigh, feeling my exhaustion set in. it's almost silent, the only sounds being the gentle hum of my broken air conditioner, the steady dripping of a tap from another room and the faint whir of my fan, which sits next to my bed.

i flop onto my side, glaring harshly at my alarm clock which mocks me from my bedside table. it's already nearing 4am, and i can almost feel dark bags trying to form under my eyes.

beads of sweat gather around the waistline of my sweats, and i run my hands over my face in frustration.

hot air circulates unevenly throughout my room, my fan hardly making a difference to the temperature. i listen to the sound of my steady breaths, and feel myself growing more irritated.

i feebly kick the duvet into a ball at the end of my bed, the warmth in the room quickly increasing with my every movement. i can't help but fidget, droplets of sweat forming on my forehead. i try to keep still, noting that it's probably hot as i'm moving too much; but the fabric of my clothing sticks to me in an uncomfortable way, forcing my body to adjust positions.

something nags at the back of my mind, but i try to ignore it. memories of my party replay in my head, and as i close my eyes, i see george. he's not in the background, kissing another girl though, but rather kissing me. i force my eyes open, gulping. heat makes you delirious.

i remind myself i was definitely kissing britt at the party, but that memory doesn't want to show itself. instead, my lips moving with george's fill the empty spaces of the memory i'm clearly forgetting. i feel almost guilty for thinking these thoughts, but my brain won't listen when i tell it to stop.

these thoughts keep me awake even longer, and the floridian heat crushes any logic i ever had. i argue with my brain, telling myself how stupid it is to think of a friend like that, and how obscure my thoughts are becoming. but as i try to stop thinking of him, it only gets worse. images of george cloud my head and i want to slap myself, but i'm quickly becoming more tired with time and lack the energy to do so.

my phone suddenly vibrates against my nightstand, and i jump, not expecting it. i keep still for a moment longer, before i reach over with a heavy arm to grab it. squinting, i try to read the message but the letters begin overlapping each other. i let out an irritated grunt, too impatient to wait for my eyes to adjust.

it doesn't take long for my eyes to get used to the light of my phone screen, and i read the jumbled message from sapnap.

'you shoulf call geroge'

i feel my heart stutter reading george's name, but my brain is laced with confusion so i don't understand why his name should affect me like this. i gulp, my throat dry which only reminds me of the sweat trickling slowly down the side of my head. i wonder for a moment if i'm sick, perhaps i caught a bug. but that still wouldn't explain the jolt my heart does when i think of the british boy i've recently become so fond of.

i type back with clammy hands that it's far too early for that, and ask him why he's awake. i watch the bubble pops up, dots appearing to tell me he's typing. a mere ten seconds go by, and a new message comes through. this wasn't from sap though.

i push myself up abruptly, blinking hard to focus my eyes as i read the contact name and the message written strangely beneath it. this message is from george, and while i'm not too surprised he's awake, as he and sapnap spent the day together, i still feel a pit in my stomach reading his message.

i can't bring myself to form a sentence in response, so i sit there aghast while i reread the text a couple dozen more times. unsure how to respond, i type another message to sapnap.

'are you guys drunk?'

it takes half a second for him to reply with an answer confirming my suspicions. slight relief washes over me, and i realise that george is just talking drunk nonsense. i let my body fall back down, an odd breeze washes over me and i feel goosebumps scatter the surface of my skin.

i take a deep breath in, but it gets stuck when george sends a new message.

'yes, i'm drunk. but not that drunk.'

i scratch my head, george is probably next to sapnap, reading every message i send to him. is he offended i asked sap if they were drunk rather than him? i shake my head, clearly overthinking. i still struggle trying to type a response to george, but my eyes are beginning to get heavy.

i feel the comfort of sleep starting to greet me, so i quickly type a message back to him, not caring of the consequences.

'of course i do.' is all i manage to send before darkness devours me and i drift off into a deep sleep.

=====

word count: 980
*in editing*
please vote!

uh hi! so i just want to take the time to quickly ask, do you prefer this writing style to my previous one?
in my other chapters i used a much simpler and shorter style, but i spent more time on this  chapter to experiment, so let me know what you think (:

(i've also been trying to edit previous chapters in this kind of style because i personally prefer the detail, but please tell me which you like more!!)