-ˋ 90

CHAPTER NINETY

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH ITS THE HOLIDAYS

. . .

There was a feeling of somewhat relief as the group of friends descended out of the carriage, looking towards Hogsmeade station, where the Hogwarts Express stood proudly, gleaming in the sunlight. 

Exams had ended, and it was just matter of waiting for their results to come in later in the holidays. It was sort of like OWLs or NEWTs, but the difference was that these grades didn't actually mean anything, essentially. 

Tiger had agreed to go into the alchemy class, as Slughorn had ended up announcing her and Lily as two of the best potion students he had seen in a while - he was rather drunk and rosy-faced, so the pair had just ended up agreeing to the class. 

But after the summer Slug Club party and a few more days spent laying around on blankets out in the sun, the term had come to an end. The final feast of the year had taken place, and the seventh years had graduated, ready to go out into the world.

That would be them, next year, and it made Tiger feel only the slightest bit scared, still not entirely sure what she would be doing after they did leave. 

"Tigs?" James's voice broke the trance his girlfriend had found herself in. "You coming?" He asked, watching as Tiger blinked multiple times, adjusting back to the real world, rather than her thoughts.

"Yeah." She nodded, then glanced to the front of the carriage. "I'll just say goodbye to the thestrals, poor things don't get much attention." 

"I wonder why." Sirius called after her, appearing by James's side as they watched the Howell girl approaching seemingly nothing, and begin petting what looked to be the air. "She looks like a right nutter." Sirius made a face. "And it looks like others agree with me." For the slightest of moments, James's eyes flickered over to the people walking past, who were watching Tiger like she was crazy.

Which a few people had done since the whole Olivia incident. Tiger's name was cleared, but people didn't stop talking about it, and some still thought she was guilty of the murder of her boyfriend. They had whispered in the corridors, Tiger had found notes in her books, at the bottom of her bags - where she usually sat in the common room or at the dinner table.

She had brushed it off, acting so nonchalant about it that she even fooled James for a few times, before the cracks formed and he recognised the flicker of doubt crossing Tiger's face for just a moment whenever she saw them.

It had gotten better though, and James, Sirius and Remus now had a habit of trying to get to things before the Howell girl did, and if anything was there they would take them before she saw. Or in the corridors, Sirius would talk extra loud if they passed people who were known to whisper about it, trying to trigger some response out of Tiger. 

It was bound to get better over the holidays, there were weeks upon weeks of people doing things away from Hogwarts, not thinking about the school and the people in it that they weren;t necessarily friends with.

"She's amazing." James looked slightly mesmerized as he watched her. Sirius let him have his moment, but only for a second or so before he dug his elbow into his ribs, chuckling as the Potter boy yelped. 

"You look just as strange as she does." He commented, and James glanced over at his best friend, an annoyed expression covering his features. He turned back to Tiger, and Sirius leant on the carriage, doing the same. 

"So when are you planning on seeing the house again?" Sirius asked, and James practically whipped around to look at the boy, eyes wide. 

"Not too loud! She can't find out until next Easter, at the very earliest." He hissed, and Sirius laughed. "But the lady set up the meeting for end of July. Got any ideas to distract her?"

"Not yet, but I'll think of something - I'll probably ask her to take me to that vintage shop she likes, get me some new clothes or something." Sirius shrugged, and James shushed him as Tiger approached them. "God, Prongs, I can see you know." He hissed. 

"Everything ok?" Tiger asked, looking between the two boys. "You look like somethings going on."

"Nope, nothing." James chirped, and this time, Tiger and Sirius gave him matching looks - but both for different reasons. The Potter boy shrugged and took off towards the train, Sirius and Tiger following quickly behind them. 

The three of them made their way past the last dregs of the crowd of students of the Hogsmeade platform, and got onto the train. They got to their usual compartment with ease, Remus and Peter already sat there.

The train set off, leading them away from Hogwarts for the final time of the group's sixth year. It was a weird feeling, knowing that they only had one year left, but it was almost guaranteed that it would be filled with fun - there was no way that the marauders wouldn't be going out with a bang. 

As the Hogwarts Express rumbled past the flowing green hills of the Scottish countryside, passing the border into England and heading closer to their destination, the Trolley lady walked by, and as usual, a couple of the boys bought something, Tiger watching from the corner, planning on asking Remus for one of the legs of his chocolate frog. 

But James sidled up to her, and she looked at him, confused. Suddenly, James pulled his hand from behind his back, and sitting in his palm was the perfect treacle tart.

"You know? For old times sake?" 

And with a laugh, Tiger took the tart, eating it as they moved further and further away from the school of witchcraft and wizardry.

They would return in around eight weeks, preparing for their final year, that was sure to be filled with fun as they progressed towards their graduation. 

Or was it?

END OF ACT ONE