Chapter 29 - Banana Pancakes

Jacob sat back in his seat and looked up, the first time he'd had a look at the sky in quite a while. The dark hues of the midnight sky had begun to light up again, a sign that the sun was going to start rising soon.

A new day was fast approaching, and they were close to leaving this bubble they'd created.

He wasn't sure how he really felt about that. As much as he wanted to get away earlier in the evening, nostalgia and curiosity had kept him roped in. So much so that popping that bubble almost felt sad, like the delicate fantasy they'd created would crumble in an instant.

Like the night never happened and things would go back to being as they always were.

It almost felt like a shame to Jacob, coming to enjoy the Spizzo he'd been spending time with for the last half of their evening. It was like they were kids again, the connection between them still there like it had been all those years ago. The familiarity felt like a warmth, something he had been missing for too long.

Spizzo talked a big game of where things were headed, how they'd be — how he'd be — come the daylight, but Spizzo also liked to spout hot gas.

If he were certain that he could have this Spizzo for the rest of time, he wouldn't feel so hesitant. But there was never any way he could ever be sure.

At the same time though, Spizzo loved to surprise him.

Like when he broke the quiet to say, "dare me to make pancakes."

Jacob blinked at the words, not expecting to hear that from the other teen. "It's my turn to have a truth or dare," he pointed out as he processed the words.

"Fine then, I dare you to dare me to make pancakes," Spizzo countered before a yawn overtook him. "I need something to eat and get some energy in me or I'll pass out."

"I— uh," Jacob started before daring the other teen to do exactly as he'd asked.

"Perfect," Spizzo grinned, launching himself out of his seat and waltzing inside without another word.

Jacob scratched his head as he thought about how that played out. The fatigue of the night was settling in and was messing with his ability to think at this point. Only when Spizzo popped his head out of the back door to ask, "you coming or what?" did Jacob finally catch up, springing up from his own seat to follow the other teen inside.

"Since when do you know how to cook?" Jacob asked as he joined Spizzo in the kitchen, taking a seat on the bar stool at the breakfast bar.

"Why is it surprising?" Spizzo countered, pacing around the kitchen as he pulled out the things he needed to make these so-called pancakes.

Jacob eyed him as he walked around, a part of him thinking that this was another wind up. Spizzo was going to make him a dish that seemed to be pancakes but was actually just some gross concoction to get back at him for the dumpster cocktail from the start of the evening.

No way did Spizzo actually know how to cook.

"The most cooking you knew how to do when we were still friends was boiling a kettle to make a cup of Milo," he even said as Spizzo placed two mixing bowls on the kitchen island, followed by some measuring cups.

"And I knew how to put toast in the toaster too, thank you very much," retorted Spizzo as he approached the other teen and grabbed a couple of bananas from the fruit bowl in front of him.

"You'll find that you put bread in a toaster," Jacob pointed out, laughing as dodged an errant banana that Spizzo had tried to hit him with.

"Shut up or I'm not cooking a stack for you," threatened Spizzo as he returned to his bowls and began to peel his fruit.