Chap. 5 - At least someone is having fun

"By the way," Monkey said as the two of them were walking. "your theory, about being Golden Cicada?"
"M-hmm?"
"Might be true."
"Really?!" she looked at him with big eyes. "Why do you say that?"
He then explained how he saw her glow last night and what happened to Meilin (without revealing that they were all demons). (Y/n) was shocked, as she really didn't know about any of this.
"Not only that," he continued. "remember those crystals back in the cave?"
"The blue crystals?"
"Yeah they're not blue. Ever since I was trapped, they've been purple."
Her eyes widen again.
"But right before you broke me out, they started to glow and turned blue. They must've reacted to your presence."
"But..." she gestured to her face. "the eyes! And I was never able to conjure a barrier around a specific person before. And back then..." she trailed off and thought for a moment. "Maybe my powers sometimes peak, but then how come it's so inconsistent?!" she asked no one in particular, getting frustrated.
"That I don't know." Monkey shrugged. "Don't get worked up over it, you'll ask Guan Yin when you see her."
She sighed.

The two of them stood on top of a cliff. Ahead of them was a big palace, along with a wall that separated the mountain and the valley on the other side. From what they heard, this place recently became the only way to leave this side of the mountain.
"It must be the one Meilin was talking about." she spoke.
She looked over at Monkey and noticed his frown.
"What's wrong?" she asked, tilting her head.
"I recognize this place." he said. "Last time I was there it didn't end too well. And I'm pretty sure they still hold a grudge against me."
"What did you do?"
"Why do you assume I did something?!"
She just raised an eyebrow. A second passed before he looked away and folded his arms.
"Wasn't my fault." he mumbled. "The king was such an idiot it was just a crime for him to have such a cool sword."

She sighed, then opened her bag to look inside.
"I could turn my blanket into a cape for you. But do you think it'll be enough?"
"It'll do the trick, you might also wanna take off your necklace too when we get inside. We just have to get your travelling papers checked and then we'll be out of here in no time."
"...Travelling papers?"
They looked at each-other in a moment of silence.
"You don't have a passport?!" Monkey finally exclaimed.
"W-Well, I never needed one before!" (Y/n) stuttered in slight panic. "And I kinda left home in a hurry!"
Monkey slowly inhaled, his hands joined together and close to his chin.
"Okay." he exhaled, pointing his hands towards her. "This is fine."

"Do you know how to get a passport?"
"Obviously not! Tripitaka was the one who took care of that paper stuff." he looked over at the castle. "The only thing we can do is ask them to make new ones."
"A-Are you sure?"
"It'll be fine, the king there is a complete idiot."
"But what if the king changed since the last time you were here?"
"Then one of his sons took over the throne. And like father like son." he paused as he looked at her. "Why are you so tense?"
"Because I... It's the first time I'll be in a palace and addressing a king." she played with her fingers. "And I'll be lying to him."
"Get used to it."
She nervously chuckled and took out her blanket.

Standing in front of the giant door, (Y/n) felt completely out of her comfort zone. She asked to see the king in a shaky voice and followed the official to the throne room. They entered the room, decorated in red and gold. She didn't look up so as to not look stupid, but she knew the ceiling was high. Beside the king was a crystal ball set on a pedestal. Monkey didn't recognized him, and he's never seen that ball before, it made him wonder how many years have passed.
"Your majesty." the official bowed once they stood in front of the king. "These travelers are asking for new passports."
"Did you lose yours?" he asked them.
(Y/n) opened her mouth but no sound came out, she was sweating a little bit. Monkey discreetly kicked her ankle, making her flinch.

"Uh-yes!" she finally said, louder than expected. "We were ambushed by bandits and we lost them as we ran away."
"I see." he smiled. "I would gladly make you new papers. What are your names travelers?"
"My name is (Y/n)," she gestured to herself then to Monkey, who adjusted his hood to make sure his face was shown as little as possible. "and this is my companion Mmmmmm~..."
She was about to say his nickname but stopped herself. Well, kinda, she just kept humming as everyone in the room looked at her confused. Finally she stopped.
"...David."
'You went from M do D just like that?!' Monkey wanted to yell, but didn't want to get attention on himself. 'And what kind of name is David?!?!?!'
"I've never heard this name before." the king stoke his beard.
"It's...Western your majesty."
"Oh, I see!" he smiled. "How exotic!"
'I see he's also an idiot.' Monkey smiled as (Y/n) quietly let out a sigh of relief.