Chapter 32

Daniel's pov

'I am making today's lunch for all four of us. Oh my god Daniel. You chose a gem.' my mom hugging me. I felt like crying.

I sat down and my dad said, 'Wait a minute, I have something I can give you.' my dad said getting up as well leaving us alone.

'Layla.....' I started saying. 'I am sorry.' we both said at the same time. 'Daniel it's just after what uncle said about aunt's health. I am sorry.' she said. 'No, I completely understand, whoever spread something like this. Those batards. This situation needs to be under control. Once everything gets better we will tell my parents everything. Actually I am the one who should say sorry here.' I said to her.

That was true. All the other pictures, even of us holding hands and stuff I could explain and tell we were just friends. But there were two particular pictures circulating because of my stupidness. One was outside the hospital after dad's surgery. I had just realized my feelings for her and was over the moon about it. When she told me the news I pulled her close to me and hugged a little too tightly and had even buried my nose in her hair. My god.

And then there was the second one of the confession day when I had I had pulled her Close to me with my hands on her waist. I was about to kiss her right before..... Before she pushed me away angrily. God I hate myself for that one. It was just everywhere. On all magazines, gossip columnsnews channels. No doubt my parents thought we were together.

The more I think about it, all the time I thought about myself and never about her. Her feelings. I just kept falling for her while never considering what she felt about me. I was so confident she will yes, the thought of her rejection never came in my mind. It still weighs heavy on my mind. Thinking about it is painful.

And now my mother thinks she is my girlfriend. That we both are in love. That we are in a relationship. I wish that was true but the truth was bitter and worse.

'I will talk to my parents. Don't worry.'  I said and she nodded. We both were sitting on the couch when my father came back again. He sat beside me and handed me a bracelet. 'I gave this to your mom when she became my girlfriend, when I realized I love her. Many memories associated with it. We both had discussed to give this to our son so he will give it to the girl he loves.' he said.

'Uncle....' Layla started saying. 'Layla don't worry. This is yours. While I can't say anything about you as a man and as a father I know one thing. When I look in his eyes I can see the love he has for you. His eyes don't lie.' my father said.

'Come on Daniel. Give this to layla.' He said handing it to me. I took it from his hands and was handing it over to her when dad said, 'What are you doing? Help her wear it!' he said laughing.

I looked at layla and nodded my head if it was okay, she nodded back and I took her wrist in my hand. I took the bracelet and put it on her wrist. It was a platinum bracelet with two hearts on it. It looked gorgeous no doubt and even more gorgeous on her hand. How i wish this all was real. Layla looked a little awkward and kept looking at it running her other hand through it.

At lunch my mom squealed when she saw the bracelet on layla's hand. Seeing mom this happy especially after what had recently happened to her health made me think that this temporary lie was worth it. Maybe.

She and layla talked and mom started telling her embarrassing stories about me and my childhood. She said she was so excited to see me and layla together and stuff.

After lunch I went to my dad and said 'There is something really important I have to talk about with you.' my dad who was in a good mood that day suddenly had a serious expression on his face.

My mom had taken her medicines and had to rest so I told layla to come with me and dad to his office at home. We both went and started talking and filled him in on the entire situation that had taken place.

Layla broke down on the part where she started talking about her uncle and his connections with the mafia. My dad comforted her while running a hand through her hair.

'Our relations with the hendrix have always been hostile. But those badtards never seem to improve.' my dad said sitting down on his office chair.

'What about layla's uncle?' I said to him. 'I had known that piece of crap my entire life. How was he even related to the Vanderbilt family was beyond me. He had shown up at Jack and Molly's funeral, with fake grief. Blew up when he was left nothing and their minor daughter as left with everything. He was even more angry when layla's grandma left her everything. Its a huge amount after all, millions of dollars, a mansion in the hometown, there was also a trust fund in and an unused college fund in her name.' I looked at layla who had a solemn on her face. I never knew she had that much money to her name. She lived a very simple lifestyle.

'Back then I was able to kick him when her grandma passed away because he was no one and layla was aldready working at the organisation. But now.......' my dad stopped speaking.

'What happened dad?' I asked. 'Well now that he has joined with the mafia with millions of dollars involved the situation is highly concerning, besides that hendrix had the guts to chase my accident, I was saved but we had tighten our security. If I was attacked layla is nothing for them.' my dad said and my heart skipped a beat. I was not ready for what came next.

'Layla, your life is in danger, ours is as well, but your life is highly in danger.' my dad said.

'There is only one thing that can be done.'