Chapter 1

I'm Ethan Dolan, head cop here at the New York City Police Department. I love my job, the best part is the chase involved. It's exciting and I love the adrenaline rush it gives me. I'm the boss so everyone follows my orders here, they know what happens if they don't. They fear me but that's the way I like it. I'm originally from New Jersey, but I came New York for college. I fell in love with it and have been here ever since. Micah is one of my best friend, also partner in crime...literally. He's executive chief, so basically one level below me. I've been here for five years. Micah and I have been working together for four years. I like most people here, some just don't know how to do their jobs, which I find extremely tiring having to constantly re- explain everything that they should've learned in school. I'm honestly surprised some of the dumb asses even graduated.                                                                             

I also have a twin brother, Grayson Dolan he is a criminal defense lawyer. Pretty convenient if you ask me, he gets paid well too, but he could never beat my pay check. My sister Cameron lives in New Jersey, she's a graphic designer. My mom owns a salon called Bloom in NJ. My dad passed from cancer, I miss him everyday.

Anyways back to my job, everyday has been super busy here, especially with the number of gangs rising here in downtown New York. Everyone is done for today at the station, which I'm very great full for. It's about 10 p.m., so I decide I should head home, but not before I lock up the files. Once I'm finished I make my way out the clear glass doors immediately being hit with the cool air and luminescence of the city. I turn the corner walking down the crumbling concrete they call a sidewalk around here, heading to my Range Rover. While I'm trotting I notice people in an ally way having a conversation that sounds like another drug deal, or possibly gang meeting; yelling, throwing profanities, all of it. I'm obviously going to check it out.

I slowly approach where I hear the sound coming from. Once I've finally reached my destination, I can briefly see it's four people, three are on one side of a brick wall that contains an endless amount of neon graffiti and the other is on the opposite side of them. I wasn't surprised when I noticed the group of three holding what looked to be meth. "Sorry babe, but you're gonna have to give us more, you don't think we would let you off that easy do you?" I don't here a response from "babe", but I have no doubt there is a deal going on. " Shut the fuck up and give me it now, or I'm gonna go find someone else, and leave your broke asses on the street to rot!" Wow ok "babe" is a fiesty one I can tell, and it's definitely a girl. I decide I want to let them know I'm here so i briskly turn the corner, immediately hit with the scent of weed, and people who smell like they haven't bathed in years. They all turn to me, "what the fuck you stupid bitch, now you got us all caught", I hear one say. "Shut the fuckup shitbag." I immediately yell at them all to drop everything, put their hands in the air, and most importantly shut their fucking traps.

I have everything I need to lock them up since my uniform is still on. Excepting them to try and take of running I make sure to keep a watchful eye on them all, the guys listen, but the girl kicks me hardly in my shin. It isn't enough to take me out, but it still hurt like a bitch. I lock up all the guys on a nearby street lamp; with handcuffs, deciding I would come back and get them later.

"STOP, RUNNNG RIGHT NOW"! I yell to the girl knowing she won't listen, but hey it's my job and I have to show her that I'm in charge here, not her. To my accurate prediction she ignores me as she keeps runnng. Her speed was nothing I couldn't catch up to. I begin to sprint at a brisk pace, my long legs allowing me to gain speed quick. I can hear my heavy equipment clanking on my size-able hipbone, I'm about to grip her shirt when she makes a sharp turn and disappears into another dingy ally way. I turn the corner only to see dumpsters, broken windows, and a small group of homeless people passed out from doing god knows what. I have no sight of her, but how did she just disappear like that. I never even got a look at her face. I had her and now I lost her.

My anger is starting to arise and I can't let it get the best of me. I should of got her how did I just miss that golden opportunity? Annoyed and irate, I decide to head back to the station. I know this is a menacing part of the city. She wouldn't make it out here long, she would either leave the area or I would find her body dead somewhere, and that wouldn't look good on my part. I speed back to the parking lot at the station and jump in my car, "Where is she?" is the only thought going through my head right now. I am gonna have to question her about what she was doing, even though I know it had something to do with drugs. But before I do I remember the three guys I locked to a light pole. Irked I drive over to the light pole and put them in my car. "Hey let us of the hook man, come on", "yeah we ain't did nothing wrong officer." They are all annoying as hell and with hold the worst grammar I've ever heard. I just want them out of my car, I speed over the limit, but oh well, I'm the head so no one can technically arrest me, if they do I'll sue them than probably have them taken into custody. Once I've arrived at the station I take them to individual cells to hold them for tonight, I'll question them tomorrow. Now time to look for this girl.

I speed walk back to my car, moving at a quick pace. I leave the parking lot and begin speeding down the street. The city is mostly empty with some dingy street lamps lit on each side of the street. There's litter scattered by the bottoms of the sidewalks. The streets are wet and reflecting the warm yellow glow coming from the street lamps. Tall structures stand on the skyline, every fluorescent light see able in the multiple windows of the buildings from the street. The pitch black sky has a grey essence to it due to the precipitation falling. Thousand of gleaming star's cover the sky adding too its beauty. New York truly is a beautiful city, not to mention the hockey team here is amazing, way better than the one in Jersey.

I drive cautiously down the dampened streets aware of how much gang activity goes on at night. Over the course of 30 minutes I hear multiple gunshot go off in many different areas. You can't let this cities beauty make you forget about how dangerous this place can be. As I'm driving I regularly look to my left and right, just in case the girl happens to turn up. I've been driving for an hour and a half now with no luck whatsoever.

I decide to head to the free way to go home. My eyes are starting to get heavy at this point and there's no way I'm gonna stay out here all night to look for some random drugie. I'll save it for tomorrow. I swiftly speed on the free way, it's mostly empty due to it being 10 minutes away from 1 a.m. I live in a beautiful mansion residenced in Manhattan.

I arrive after 20 minutes of driving. I pull up my long concrete road, typing my password in to open the gated entrance. The gate slowly opens and I speedily make my way through, making sure it closes before I fully leave. Once I've entered my immense home, my body guard Leo is their waiting for me in front of my massive garage. I hop out of my seat, leaving the heat of my car as well. I give him the keys thanking him in advance, and grabbing my brief case from the passenger seat. Leo drives off heading towards the garage. I make my way towards the doorway of my quarters. I use my I.D. touch I have on my lock, placing my finger on the touch pad the doors immediately open. I enter my posh accommodation taking in the wonderful site. I eventually remove myself from the trance and sizely doorway, heading towards the elevator feeling to fatigued to walk up the close to a hundred stairs that take me to my room. I open the smooth gold cover of the elevator and step inside. Clicking number 4. This house has 6 floors altogether, but my room is on the 4th floor. I feel the elevator steadily moving up from being on the bottom floor. I wait patiently for the high pitched ding, after about 15 seconds of starring at the glossy marble of the wall, I hear the glorious ding. I step out and turn down the corridor, it has spotless white walls and glistening black tiles on the floor. I walk to the 3rd door on the left side, gently turning the metal handle to get inside. Once I've effectively walked fully inside, I set my brief case on my white cushion chair next to my huge king sized bed. I remove my uniform, grateful that I'm finally able to get the heavy equipment of my waist. I fetch some pajamas from my dark lumber chest of drawers. I grab some grey sweats, deciding to pass on wearing a shirt cause it's uncomfortable and pointless in my opinion. I practically plunge into my soft bed, once I'm in I peel my grey duvet from the corner and cover my body up in it only leaving my shoulders up bear. I grab my phone from my nightstand setting my alarm for 4:30a.m., I carefully plug it in its charger and turn it off. I turn over and stare at the estate from my glass sliding doors. I think about how much I need to pick it up and find that girl tomorrow, I'll see what those guys know about her, maybe get a lead who knows. All my thinking causes my mind to slowly shut down, taking my consciousness with it. With that I'm asleep in the middle of rationalizing my game game plan for tomorrow.