The Wondrous Mr. Wood

authors note: if you need a song rec to listen to while reading, smells like teen spirit is playing during the party scene. a kiss on the cheek to anyone who uses their modest time alive to read my work.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

October 31, 1992

The next few weeks were, to say the least, rather unbearable- what with Oliver piling the quidditch practices on, disastrous encounters with Snape, and Fred and George constantly bickering over what music they were going to play at the Halloween party.

Then came the day of the party itself, and Elodie was stuck in the library with Hermione and Maura, studying for her Charms exam. It was a particularly unpleasant engagement, as Hermione wouldn't let her copy her work, and Maura was still miserable about her breakup with Cedric (let's just say the talk didn't go so well).

In Elodie's opinion-not that Maura ever listened to her opinion-Cedric was stupid not to see what an amazing girlfriend she was, and being very over-dramatic about the whole affair. But Maura was very set in the belief that she was a horrible, horrible person, and Cedric was the love of her life.

Apparently the two quarreling lovebirds had had another fight this morning, and Maura was trying to hide her tears. Elodie had a cautious hand placed on her friend's shoulder.

"You perform a color changing charm by flicking your wand... left or right?" Elodie muttered under her breath, trying not to disturb Maura.

"Left." Hermione answered simply.

"How do you even know that? You're in second year!" Elodie looked over surprisedly at her friend.

"I read your textbooks sometimes." Hermione shrugged. Elodie laughed, ruffling her hair.

"Remember, Els, that day at the lake where Fred tried to make your hair purple?" Maura said miserably.

Elodie glanced down at her inky-black hair. "Yes, I rather wish he had. Say, 'Mione, would you turn my hair a different color?"

"Why?"

"I hate it."

"That's a terrible reason."

"Please?"

"I'll do it." Maura offered weakly.

"Maurs, you're not in a right state to do magic. You'd end up setting me on fire. Why don't we head up to the party, now; I'm sure Lee and the twins have it started."

Hermione frowned. "Els, we said we'd study until eleven. It's ten fifteen."

"Yes, but I've had quite enough studying for one lifetime, and Maura here needs some firewhiskey." Elodie reasoned.

"Firewhiskey? but thats-"

"Illegal? Against the rules? Scandalous?" Elodie grinned.

"Any and all of the above." Hermione shrugged. "I'm not picky."

Elodie packed her books back in her rucksack. "You're going to make an excellent prefect one day, 'Mione."

"Hmph. Well, I guess I'll see you girls later, then." Hermione offered them a tiny smile and bent back over her paper.

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

There was loud music coming from behind the portrait hole, and a couple students were making out in the stairwell. As a good party always arose.