Fathers and Mothers

Author's Note: Sharing this beautiful fanart from @sansan_sanae on IG this week

Author's Note: Sharing this beautiful fanart from @sansan_sanae on IG this week. They both look so beautiful here!

The Bone King

Victoria turned to glare at me, malice burning her gaze. "You wouldn't dare," she hissed.

"Now don't worry, I won't let Vandel drain himself to death," I replied with a chuckle. "I need Ridley to kill him. He's taken enough lives that he's almost ready...but there's still far too much humanity left in him. With the connection the two of them share, Vandel's life will be worth that of at least five thousand others." I smirked at her. "But you already knew how it worked, didn't you, Victoria?"

She stiffened, eyes narrowing. "What are you implying?"

"You were by my side during all my studies," I replied, fingers lacing casually behind my back. "You were there when I learned one could become the Bone King simply by killing the previous one. And you were also there...when I discovered the Bone King could create the most powerful weapon in the universe with simply the perfect soul."

Victoria's expression never changed. "I had it all burned. The second you left, I destroyed your research. I imagined no fate could be worse than becoming as power hungry as you." She sighed heavily, her gaze flickering away. "And yet...I too found myself still falling for that sweet allure of power. I could sense the power Ridley had and began to suspect he was the weapon you'd been looking for. I decided to test out my theory, luring Percival to our side and forcing him to fight Ridley. I wanted to see if your power would take over and make that little knight kill his best friend." She swallowed hard, still refusing to look at me. "I thought I could use Ridley for my own agenda, to be my own weapon. But...I began seeking power so relentlessly I ended up hurting our son in the process." As she spoke, she slowly lifted her head, her gaze at last meeting mine once more. "That made me realize....I was becoming someone like you." Her lips curved coldly upward, her eyes boring into me. "And I can't imagine anything more horrible."

I arched a brow. "So you originally planned to help me turn Ridley into a weapon, kill me, and then take him for yourself."

She nodded. "That's right. But now...I think I can settle with just killing you." And with those words, she flung herself at me.