Chapter Twenty Two

~Tyr's POV~

"Tyr, your tie-"

"It's fine Mum." I yawned, and gently pushed her hand away. "It's fine."

"You look tired."

I stared at her, "Mum-"

"Oh shush!" She hurried me towards the door as the baby began crying through the monitor.

Freya appeared round the corner with Brooke clinging to her shoulders as she bounced her on her hip. "Can you just-?"

"I'm already taking Maya!" I raised my hands.

"But-!"

Dad stalked past, a dark look in his eyes. But then they flashed green, and his shoulders relaxed back as he calmed down and returned to reality. "Where's Charlie?"

"She's packed to go back with Grandma at the weekend, still sleeping now."

He rolled his eyes, "I'll get her to pop down to the shop and get your Mum some more milk."

"Can you take Brooke?" Freya held her to Dad, "she smells."

"She needs changing." Brooke giggled as Dad carefully took her, holding her delicately but securely in his arms.

"I need to leave," I glanced at my phone, to see a message from Cleopatra flash up. "Maya!" I bellowed, "I'm leaving in 3... 2..."

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" She bounded down the stairs, bundled up in her pink coat and matching bag. "I was saying bye to Billy."

"You're not meant to wake him up sweetheart," Dad went to ruffle her hair, but she pushed his hand away from her plaits.

"He is awake! Mums feeding him."

Dad looked pained as he glanced up the stairs. I tried not to grin - it was his fault, after all, that they have a month old as well as Brooke who wasn't yet 2.

"Let's go." I whistled as I opened the door, and began walking down the drive to drop Maya off at her school. She chattered all the way there, insisting that the boy who she claimed had a crush on her was too smelly and mean, so she was going to dance with her friends at lunchtime instead.

"You know how some people say boys are only mean if they like you?"

Maya scrunched her nose up, but nodded.

I whispered, "That's lies. If boys are mean, then they're mean. And what do we say to people who are mean?"

"We tell them to fuck off."

I choked on my breath and stared at her slightly giddy expression. "No. No, we tell them to grow up and we walk away. Who taught you that word?"

"Freya. She said if a boy tries to be mean to me then I should tell them to fuck off."

By then we had reached the school gates, and I was too dazed by her words to react much more than hug her back when she squeezed me tightly.

I watched as she ran to the playground, before wandering to the bus stop down the road. My phone was quiet now, and I checked it whilst I was waiting.

Cleopatra's message was still there, hinting at some fun we could get up to at the weekend. I almost swore when I saw she'd sent a photo, but it wasn't the slightly risky photo I thought she would send.

Instead it was a photo of two nerf guns, and a pack of biscuits.

I grinned, and climbed onto the bus.

***

~Cleopatra's POV~

"Green?"

"No."