12

"Are you okay?" Jace asked Sarah as soon as the portal closed, she nodded her head passing her stele on the healing rune

"You wanted me to kill that vampire" Jace accused Valentine who scoffed, "Yes I wanted you" He threw an annoying glance at Sarah before continuing, "to kill it. The world's a safer place without that thing wreaking havoc. Would you rather turn her over to the Clave to stand trial?"

"That is my job! "The Law is hard, but it is-" " Jace started when he and and Valentine continued in the same time, "The Law."

"Yet the Clave does nothing, nothing to enforce that. Downworlders multiply with a bite or a scratch, while our numbers dwindle year after year. If we don't do something, a den like that one is gonna be on every corner on every street in the world. This is the only way." Valentine explained

"You're wrong." Jace stated.

Valentine scoffed at Jace's gullibility, "Like I was wrong about your mother? I know you even better than you know yourself."

"You... you don't know me at all." Jace said before walking away from Valentine.

After a while, Sarah was watching the ocean in silence with a distant look before Jace joined her looking at his sister, "Why did you do it, Sarah?" He wondered.

She took her time to answer turning to the blonde shadowhunter, "Unlike Valentine I actually know you, you wouldn't live with yourself if you broke the law" She said with a shrug.

He tilted his head, "So you don't share Valentine's thought?" He inquired with hesitancy, he didn't know which side the brunette was on, it was hard to actually figure what's on Sarah's mind.

She snickered, "Of course, I don't Jace."

"Then what are we doing here? We need to leave." He demanded worry etched on his face, perhaps he was scared of Valentine's influence on him and how could he not when his sister not long ago just killed a vampire without a second thought.

She nodded, "And we're going to, I have a plan, you just gonna have to trust me." Jace stayed stoic not answering the brunette but she took the almost invisible nod as him agreeing.

At night, Sarah walked to the deck of the ship, she looked over at the ocean with glistening eyes, she sighed heavily reaching into her pocket, getting her phone out, her fingers hovered over Magnus' name and without giving it much thought she dialed his number.

The ringing of the phone was the only sound the brunette could hear, she closed her eyes in anticipation of hearing the warlock's voice, God knows that hearing his voice right now would be her lifeline.

The ringing almost came to an end, before Magnus' voice folded the shadowhunter's ears, "Hello?"

Sarah sighed in relief, letting a few tears slide on her cheeks in silence, she didn't answer, she just wanted to hear his voice, the shadowhunter was never the one to cry, it hardly ever happened to her but right now she was vulnerable being with Valentine was affecting her.