Chapter 17

''Have you ever thought about how we only get to choose from just two people for the Presidential election, but fifty for Miss America?'' I tirade on. That's fucking weird.

''Doesn't matter. They're a bunch of brainless brats anyway.'' He gripes.

''That's fucking rude,'' I giggle. High Kayden is kind of assertive. It's amusing as hell.

And apparently, being high makes me state out dumb, random facts. That's what we've been doing for the past hour and a half. We found this adorable deserted car park- where they used to project films in one of those outdoors cinemas- after driving around the city while blasting and jamming along to music. I almost had to fucking fight him for the aux cord, but he let me have it after I let out a little pout. He ended up saying I have great taste in music, so I guess it culminated up being okay.

Now we're just talking about all sorts of stupid shit, passing the blunt back and forth. He offered me my own, like last time. But I refused- again, like last time.

''If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he considered homeless?'' he questions in his still unadorned tone of voice, I can't help but to burst out laughing.

''What are you laughing at? You're the one who fucking asked if vegetarians could eat animal crackers five minutes ago.'' he seems genuinely slighted, but I don't miss the twitch to his lips as he watches my laughter surge.

After my laughter dies down, it falls quiet for the first time since we've gotten here. And of-fucking-course, my stomach chooses that seamless moment to grumble. I straighten myself from the bench we're sitting on and hand him back the blunt- after taking just a little drag this time- hoping that'll distract him from commenting on it.

He tosses what little was left of the smoke on the concrete and stomps on it with the heel of his shoe, putting it out. Then he pulls himself off the base of the bench. ''Let's go.''

But I don't want to go home yet...

I force myself off the seat and follow him to the car, once I've jumped myself in with a little push from Kayden, and we're both seated, I speak up. ''Am I giving directions or should I type the address on your navigators system?'' he's already rumbled the engine.

''I'm not taking you home yet.'' He starches his arm and puts his one hand on the back of my pew, then looks behind us over his arm while steering the wheel with the other.

Why is that so hot?

Focus! ''Uh, is this the part where you tell me I'm being kidnapped? Because a little heads up would be appreciated.'' I nervously chuckle.

''No, this is the part where we're gonna get some food.'' He doesn't look at me as he answers, still steering us out of the empty lot.

''Food? We came straight from a barbeque. Why would we go get something to eat?''

''You mean the barbeque where you didn't even touch your plate?'' our eyes meet. A clasping look spinning through his, daring me to call him in the wrong, because he knows he isn't. ''Plus, I get really fucking hungry when I'm high.''

Well, then that makes two of us, pretty boy. ''What are you thinking?'' I can't go inside somewhere looking like this; an oversized, dark bomber jacket that belongs to Kayden, which he made me wear after I realized I still hadn't put on a damn shirt when I stepped in his car, it's so large on me, you can't even see my shorts underneath. I took my bandana out so my hairs a wild mess. And I stole one of Jenn's sneakers, which are a little too big on my feet.

''I don't know, I'll see what we drive by first. I'm not really a picky eater so just tell me what you like.''

''I'm not picky either, as long as it's a drive thru- I'm good.'' I shrug.