Chapter 17: Suspicions

The group of teens sat before the authorities in the empty classroom, all highly confused and all borderline worried.

Currently, they were in the abandoned room due to the office still being under repairs. Though right now, they wished they were in the office with how eerie this felt. 

It was currently down pouring, the weather having gotten worse. Remi jumped when the sky lit up with lightning, a loud *bang* following suit. She gulped before turning back towards the front of the room.

They eyed the adults who stood at the board, all dawning expressions of blank indifference. Miss. Nadia walked forward, looking at the group. "Thank you all for coming with us. We will be asking you some questions about what occurred last week on Monday. Because this is an official investigation, you are all expected to answer our questions truthfully. Any false answers will have you suspended or expelled from Wellston Private High School. Do you all understand?"

The group of teens nodded, replying in unison. "Yes Miss. Nadia."

The woman nodded, her eyes sparking to life as she looked to Keon. "Then let us begin."

Keon walked forward, hands hidden in his pockets. "We'll start off with individual questions. Arlo?"

The blonde looked up and nodded in acknowledgement. "Yes sir?" 

This wasn't his first experience with the authorities so Arlo felt calm about the situation. Everyone else however felt less than secure.

Keon walked forward, steel blue meeting ocean eyes as the man loomed over him. "We were told by your aunt that you helped her search through the crime scene originally. Can you tell us what you found?"

Arlo raised an eyebrow. Was he even allowed to give out this information?

The cop must've sensed his worry, replying back. "And yes, she gave us permission to ask these questions so don't worry about confidentiality."

The blonde relaxed slightly, nodding before giving his answer. "When we searched the scene, almost everything was burnt to a crisp. We couldn't find much but I did uncover a document-"

Keon whipped his head over. "What document? And what was on it?"

Arlo looked at the man before continuing. "...it was a document addressed to Vaughn: a search and seizure warrant. It was too burnt to make out the reasons why but that was the only page the survived."

Keon nodded. "Was there anything else you uncovered?"

The blonde shook his head. "No. My aunt and the rest of her team uncovered the other bits of evidence but I wasn't present for that."

Keon looked to Nadia who nodded back. A sign that all was clear.

"Thank you Arlo. One last question; Mr. Keene had told us that you and Blyke here were the ones to help him pull headmaster Vaughn out of the flames. Is that correct?" 

The teen nodded. "Yes, we were."

"Can you give a recollection of the event please?"

Arlo nodded, taking a small breath before starting as he searched through his mind for what happened that day.

"I had just stopped by Keene's office to drop off some papers. That's where I met Blyke. After chatting for a bit, we smelled something very off, like it was charring, burning even. We went to investigate when Keene found us, trying to warn everyone about the fire. Blyke and I were the ones who pulled the alarms and we were about to leave when we heard a scream."