24 | the landing

24 | THE LANDING

The cockpit was the only thing Mando could pressurize so they could travel to Trask

The cockpit was the only thing Mando could pressurize so they could travel to Trask. The flight there was unbearably slow, as the ship was literally limping to its destination. "Wake me up if someone shoots at us, or if that door gets sucked off its rails," Mando leaned over to Celeste, "I'm kidding. If that happened, we'd all be dead. Sweet dreams."

Celeste punched his armored arm. "You're so funny," she rolled her eyes at him.

"I'm kidding! I'm kidding..." his chuckles faded away into a sigh.

Celeste got comfortable in her chair and closed her eyes. "But, not really." She heard Mando whisper under his breath after a few moments. Causing him to receive a kick from Celeste.

* * *

As the frog lady and Mando slept, Celeste stayed awake. She couldn't rest knowing that no one was keeping watch. Knowing that the ship could fall apart at any second and suck them into the emptiness of space—killing them instantly—was not a pleasing thought to her. And it wasn't a thought that would not allow her to sleep well with.

While she sat in her seat, holding the child with one arm, her other hand was twirling the ring she had found in the snack cabinet days before. The engagement ring Mando had planned on giving to her. After their crash landing, she pocketed the ring in case it were to get lost in the wreckage.

Fortunately, she did, as the ring wouldn't have made it in the open area of the ship. She saw Mando beginning to stir in his sleep, indicating to Celeste that he was about to waken. She watched him wake up, readjusting himself to be in a straighter position. "Good morning, sunshine," Celeste chuckled, to not wake the child and the frog lady.

"You didn't sleep?" Mando asked her once he took a look at her. He noticed the dark bags under her eyes, she was exhausted. But, she was fighting the desire to sleep.

Cel shook her head. Mando's visor tilted slightly downward as he noticed the ring in her hands. "I want you to wear it, you know?" He spoke.

Celeste smiled down at the jewelry. "I guess I should since you technically asked," she paused, then shot him a glare, "but you have to propose the correct way."

"The correct way?"

"You know... the romantic way. As a surprise." She explained further. Celeste could sense a smile coming from under Mando's helmet. He turned his head away from her--which was incredibly difficult to do--and as if on cue, a quiet alarm began sounding. The alarm indicated that they were approaching their destination and to prepare for landing.