𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞 𝖔𝖓𝖊

DRACO MALFOY HAD PICKED THE WRONG GIRL

Climbing up to the Astronomy Tower had never been so hard - although getting there had been easier than expected.

Elara had stayed close to the walls, creeping down abandoned hallways of the castle until she burst into the courtyard.

Ron had been right. It was a battlefield.

She was barely able to tell who was who, the air thick with dust and green and red spells streaking through the air, blood-curdling screams causing goosebumps to erupt on her skin.

Elara did all she could as she followed the crumbling walls around the courtyard, shooting Stunning spells at any Death Eater within reach. It was difficult to see through the smog so she couldn't do much in fear she'd hit one of the teachers or the other students.

She knew the Death Eaters wouldn't waste the opportunity if their opponent was distracted.

But now, as she ascended the stairs she'd climbed so many times before - back in the beginning when she'd been training with Draco, later to have him press her against the wall and kiss her feverishly, even sometimes to cry while the moon watched - the battle was the farthest thing from her mind.

She kept her wand in her hand, not knowing if he was on his own, and made sure to keep her footsteps quiet.

But when she emerged onto the landing in the ramparts, there was only Draco and he was alone.

She expected her heart to pound in her chest, expected her blood to rush in her ears and her fingers to tremble at the sight of his broad back and white-blond hair, the moonlight making it gleam.

But all she felt was numbness. It spread outward from her chest, curled low in her stomach, extended to the tips of her fingers where she clutched her wand.

"You're a fucking bitch, Malfoy."

Even her voice sounded different - like someone else speaking through her.

Draco was whirling around instantly, his wand arm raising.

She disarmed him in a split second. His wand slammed into the wall and clattered to the ground.

His eyes should've made her feel something: wide and panicked and almost despaired as he took her in, his lips parting.

Elara moved forward, keeping her wand raised and pointed straight at him. His eyes, illuminated by the moonlight, flickered down to the wand and then back up to hers.

"Elara..." He sounded like he'd been crying and raised his hands up in surrender as she came closer, her teeth clenched. "Elara, what the fuck are you -"

"You used me." It was three words that should've ripped her heart out all over again but all she felt was exhaustion, creeping into her bones. "You used me to help you repair that fucking cabinet and I was too fucking blind to see it."