Part 59

A/N:

I don't know if any of you use my song recs, but here's one:

My Tears Are Becoming A Sea - M83 on repeat if you're dramatic like me

Here we go

~

Maggie was out of bed before the sun was up.

Her eyes ached from her long night of sobbing. Finally letting down her walls was like opening the floodgates. She let herself feel everything. Every last bit of emotion she held in over the last few months. It wouldn't stop. Eventually, she passed out as sleep mercifully took her under its wing.

Leaving her where she was now. Standing in front of the bathroom mirror, trying to comb through her ratted hair from tossing and turning all night. She hunched down, letting cold water from the faucet pool in her hands and dipping her face into it. Hoping it would help calm her swollen features.

Once she looked a bit less of a mess, she rushed to the bedroom to get ready. She had a flight to catch after all.

Maggie had booked it last minute the night before. As early as she could get it. Determined to fix things with James.

She slipped on a floral dress, pulling a mint eyelash cardigan over top, then stepping into a pair of sandal mules. Not even bothering to look in the mirror one last time before she scurried down the stairs.

Rose was already out in the car, getting it started when she bursted out of the front door. Hopping into the passenger seat.

They drove across town in the small yellow beetle to SFO. The city was still sleeping as they sped through the streets. Sun just peeking over the horizon, making the sky fade from a lavender to a bright pink. Tiny, fluffy clouds floated by. Dancing their way across the array of pastels.

Maggie took a deep breath, wiping her clammy hands over the cotton skirt of her dress as she stared out the window to the airport they were approaching.

"You can do this, Maggie." Rose assured.

"I know. I'm just scared he won't hear me out after how I treated him."

Rose reached over, squeezing her hand. "You're my granddaughter and your mother's daughter. You have our combined strength with you always. You can do this."

Maggie huffed through a sob, sniffling away the tears dripping down her freckled cheeks.

Rose pulled her hand away, steering up to the drop off area, then shifting in her seat to face Maggie. "Sometimes, we have to fight for what we love. We have to hold onto those bonds between ourselves and the people worth carrying with us. Don't let this moment slip away out of fear."

Wiping her tears away with her thumbs, Rose held Maggie's face in her frail hands, looking deep into her eyes. "I love you. No matter what happens in this world, you will always have me. I'm so proud of the woman you've become and I know your mother would be too."

Maggie nodded, pouting at her. "I love you too, Mimi."

Releasing the sides of her face, she gave her a cheeky grin. "Now, get out of here girl. You've got a man to track down."

She giggled, grabbing her purse and suitcase, then stepping out of the car. Bending down to peek through the window one last time, she blew Rose a kiss.

Rolling her suitcase behind herself, she rushed through the airport. Squeezing through the crowds of people to get to her terminal. Everyone around her was cheerful for their long awaited vacations, but Maggie's mood was different. Although terrified, she was determined.