18

We walk until we are all surrounded by the thick forest and some trees have leaves as sharp as needles, while others are leafless. I was wondering how long the walk would be and why we would have to walk such a distance.

"Nathaniel."

"Hmm."

"Please don't think I'm daft for asking such a question, but are there no horses in Nordfjord? Do you guys travel by foot everywhere?"

He gave me a look in disbelief before cracking a smile. Shaking his head he silently pointed ahead, where I saw absolutely nothing. Giving him a questioning glance, he sighs and lifts me up lightly as I see horses just a few yards ahead.

"I really find your lack of physical height astonishing. Tell me Avani, did you stop growing when you reached a decade of your life."

"Stop teasing me. I am average amongst the people of Alasia. You northerners are just gigantic."

"Which is why we can handle this walk."

"I have to take twice the steps as all of you in order to not be left behind."

"Well, you have nothing to worry about. The loyal people of Nordfjord wouldn't dare to leave their queen behind and I won't dream of it to leave you behind, ever."

He whispered the last word against my ears and I couldn't stop the smile etched on my face at his kind words as he wraps his arm around my waist. I snuggled deep into him, as his scent enveloped me. I heard the neighing sound of the stallions, in all colours, from white, brown, multicoloured and a large black one with a shiny coat.

It didn't take a genius to figure out the black-coloured horse belonged to my one and only husband. As everyone grabbed a horse and saddled up, I looked quite lost. I still did not know how to ride a horse and there seemed to be none left.

"Ivan, where is my wife's horse?"

"On the journey here one of the horses stubbed a thorn and the wound bled badly, my king. If it isn't a problem, Princess Avani can use my horse to travel to the castle.

"How will you travel, Ivan?"

"Princess, wife of the great king Nathaniel, I am honoured to meet you."

Before answering Nathan's question, the horseman Ivan bowed down and greeted me. I greeted him back with a polite hello, still not accustomed to such formality. Ivan turned back to my husband and immediately gave an answer to his prior question.

"I will walk back to the castle, your highness."

"It will be nightfall by the time you reach the castle. Anything can be lurking in these forests. Please take the horse instead."

"But your highness, how will you travel."

"She will ride with me on my horse."

"Thank you, my King, Princess."

I nod my head, confused at why he referred to the King's wife as a princess instead of a queen. Ignoring that though I was pleased with how this problem got solved. This way the people would not yet know that I do not have the skill to ride a horse.

With the help of Nathaniel, I finally got up on the massive stallion, as Nathaniel followed right behind. His arm rolls around my waist before pulling me towards his back.

"Safety first."

He whispered sensually in my ear. The sparks returned and I felt a shiver go down my spine. I felt him kiss the nape of my neck before starting the horse, jolting me out of this strange but good feeling.