Chapter 37: Of the Ones that Survived

Queen Nokomis's legs are almost as long as Orion's.

"After I heard that Orion and Alaric would be leaving," Queen Nokomis says as we walk down an echoing hall, "I considered changing our plans, but then I thought it would be best for us to work on this while Orion and the King are gone."

I'm slightly breathless with my attempt to keep up with her. When she mentions Orion's leaving, I feel a small pang of longing in my chest. He had left so early this morning that I hadn't had a chance to tell him goodbye. He's only been gone for a few hours.

But I miss him.

"What is it we're doing, Majesty?" I ask, shaking myself out of my thoughts.

We take a left turn. I look at her - her expression is hesitant.

"It is something I have been thinking about for some time," she begins semi-reluctantly, "A new program for those that . . . find themselves in need. From a situation like yours. I've gathered some individuals for us to interview this morning."

I trip.

"Oh."

The Queen nods.

"After your experience, yesterday, I began to realize how deeply this was needed. And I thought you would be suited to work with these wolves."

I promise I'm not stupid - I know I'm not the only stunted wolf alive, and that abuse happens across the world - but I can't imagine it. I can't imagine someone else like me, here, in the palace. Queen Nokomis looks at me tentatively, like she's not sure if she's offended me. I take a breath.

"No, Queen Nokomis. I don't mind. What are we doing for them?"

"Right now, we're just speaking with them to see what resources would be valuable. You'll take half, I'll take half."

She smiles at me, encouraging.

"Okay," I reply, trying to keep the nervousness out of my voice. I'm not much of a people person. I always say the wrong things.

Queen Nokomis leads me to a large room that I don't recognize. Within it are over a dozen people, men and women alike, some teenagers and some older than my mom, all sitting down in the chairs like a doctor's reception. The room is silent in a nervous tension.

As they notice our entrance, the people stand, bowing their heads towards Queen Nokomis. Queen Nokomis leads me towards them and I feel like running away. What could I possibly say to these people?

"Good morning," Queen Nokomis starts, calm and assured, "Thank you to all of you for coming at such short notice. Princess Lee will be helping all of those that have been assigned to room A4, and I will be helping those assigned to room A6. Delta Gibson will read your name when we are ready for you to come to the room on your meeting page."

I swallow the pulse jumping in my throat. My hands clasp together nervously. Why does it feel like this would be so much easier with Orion, here?

Room A4 is wood-paneled and comfortable. I'm sitting upon a cushioned chair, perched on the very edge, fiddling a pack of interview questions, lined papers, and information about the people I'm about to see. I can barely read any of the information.